New Contributor
empoweringchildren1

Re: My 5 year old daughter will NOT sleep in her own bed... HELP!

Spend a lot of time with her in her bedroom. And I would do it an hour before her actual bedtime. Reading and some calm activities.

Kendall Lee
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
julie49673

I know that can be frustrating. But I believe once your child feels like she is being "mature", "independent" and "acting like a big girl" she will want to sleep in her own bed. During the day, when she is displaying these qualities, be sure to point them out to her so you show her how she already embodies these qualities of greatness. She just needs to be shown that she has these qualities within herself. Once she starts seeing herself as independent and mature, she will start to act out this way, and will no longer seek to sleep in your bed since she see's herself and identifies herself with being independent and mature. You can go to my site for additional information www.gettingback2greatness.com

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Eleonora H

Stay firm...Hold your gounds... This is your daughter we are talking about, not your dog. I have been living for 12 years in US now and I still can't understand most parenting technics. We take care of our children the same way we were rised - with love. I have 10 year old dauther and every night I read to her and spend 10 to 30 min after lights go out in her bed. She loves my hugs and I cherish the time we have to cuddle. I only have another probably 2 years to enjoy it, before she starts getting anoyed with everything we (the parents) do. So why not enjoy it. And if she occaisionally wakes up at night, instead of letting her in in our bed (which will roin both of our sleeps), I go with her back to her bed and lai down with her. This has helped her feel much more secure and she sleeps pretty well. My husband does the same with our 8 year-old son. You would think that we are exosted, but unless someone is sick, we actually have very good nights sleep. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
empoweringchildren1

Show a lot of love. Hide your irritation. Read and sing soft songs to her while she is laying in her own bed until she falls asleep. Used a dim light. Give her lots of hugs. Just make her feel secure while she's laying in her own bed.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
debbie39012

Children get used to certain routines and obviously this is one she loves and one you accomodate.  Have you tried putting her back in her bed once she falls asleep in yours?  Something else that has worked is to tell her she has to sleep on the floor by the bed.  Pretty soon, she gets tired of being cold and goes back to bed.  She is old enough for a wonderful little interactive parenting program I have used over the years that is quite remarkable.  It is simple and made for these kinds of frustrations.  It brings nearly immediate results and encourages self-improvement because of the nature of the reward.  This program is used in a book called, From Combat Zone to Love at Home:  The Happy Face Token System.  She can earn tokens you make or purchase.  I had my children color and cut out theirs.  They earned tokens (based on how I felt about what they did) usually one or two per good deed.  Then they could cash the tokens in for something on the uniquely prepared  reward list or chart .  I say "unique" because this list is unlike any I have ever seen.  The list consists of things the child likes to do or doesn't want to do.  For instance:  Mom will make my bed  or  stay up for an extra 30 minutes on a school night.  The parent prices the reward according to how often they want to allow that thing.  The child gets what they want and so does the parent.  The result is happy, compliant children who will do whatever you ask just hoping to get 1 or 2 tokens.  We used this program for years in our home and found it useful to teach just about any concept immaginable.  http://strongwilledchildren.com and http://biblebasedparenting101.com

maybe you'll enjoy these sites.  Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 332 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: