New Contributor
rachd26

I think my son has ADD/ADHD

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 13 year old son who has a bad temper. He has been like this since he was 2! I have seen child psychologists when he was little, as he was hitting other children and shouting at his nursery teachers etc. They didn't really tell me much.

Throughout his schooling we are always getting calls from school saying he's being rude and disruptive. He is also verbally aggressive at home, and if being confronted about something (even when I just want to ask him about something) he starts bending his fingers back and picking at his arms then storms off to his room and breaks things/ throws things?

To be honest I'm at my witts end... can anyone help? Thank you.

Posted from Amazon KFTT
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: I think my son has ADD/ADHD

You need him to get reevaluated by someone that specializes in working with teenagers. I would, however, not go in expecting a specific diagnosis of ADD/ADHD (in fact from your description I don't think that's what his diagnosis would be at all from a professional therapist/ psychologist/ psychiatrist) but instead I would specifically address your concerns, not as a diagnosis but as a general he has these things going on that are disruptive to himself and others. I don't want to put any different diagnoses in this post because I think that it leads us to believe oh, this fits, that fits, OMG I'm an adult living with ADD my entire life when that very well might not be the case. A family doctor isn't the best channel to go through for a diagnosis as well, since they aren't as well versed in the different diagnoses and are more likely to misdiagnose (for example, somewhere around 10% of kids diagnosed with ADHD are later found to be misdiagnosed as teens or adults, and nearly always were diagnosed by their pediatrician). Many of the diagnoses have similar bullet points, but they each have some very different element from the last that not only differentiates it, but may even be exacerbated by treatment for ADHD.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rachd26

Thank you. Unfortunately we live in a tiny place where the gp practice is rubbish and its an hour to the nearest hospital. We only have the gp surgery and if you can't get referred than you can't do anything about it. I managed to get him in with the school councillor. When I spoke to the councillor his first question to me was "has he been tested for ADHD?" Then I've done a bit of research and I'm just not sure.

It's also hard when you can't get any advice or help from anyone.

Posted from Amazon KFTT
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Can the school counselor direct you to someone who can help?  My stepson has ADHD and is treated by his pediatrician.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rachd26

The school counsellor has unfortunately retired and they haven't got anybody else at the moment. I spoke to one of the house tutors at school and she said "he'll grow out of it". So to be honest it didn't help much!
Posted from Samsung GT-I8190N
Please use plain text.
Jenivert

[ Edited ]
Request a meeting with the classroom teacher and request at the meeting that you'd like a school or district psychologist do a psych-educational evaluation. Psychologists are able to assess, diagnose, and recommend strategies, but if the diagnosis requires medication then you'll have to have the GP refer you to a Pediatrician and or Child Psychiatrist that's trained in Behavioral & Cognitive Therapies. However, it sounds like your health plan is limited, but under Obama Cate / Affordable Care Act (ACA) and depending on what State you live in, your State may have opted for expanding its Medicaid or under special circumstances you may qualify to sign up for additional Medicaid benefits. Check on the healthcare Market Place site
https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/b/welcome/ or google your own State's Gov site. I hope this helps and all the best to you and your son!

Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
tnt2001

My daughter has ADHD and is currently taking medication to help her deal with actions, emotions and her ability to focus. She has an appt w/ an Occupational Therapist for her fine motor. She has a hard time writing, coloring etc and if she gets frustrated she acts out. You may have to go to the next big city in your area to seek help. We were lucky that we have the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore and our insurance pays for most of her visits.
Posted from Samsung SM-G900A
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,497 members 168,036 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: