ModChristine

Dysgraphia

A teacher/friend of mine brought this up to me 2 years ago when she taught my son in 3rd grade.  He has always struggled with handwriting amongst other things that have to do with writing/copying/aligning numbers.  I had never heard of Dysgraphia until then and I went home and researched it.  There was no doubt in my mind he had it.  I have fought for 2 years to get someone to listen to me about it.  It seems there are so many educators who have never heard of it unless they have encountered a child with it.  Long story short he was finally officially tested and diagnosed with it yesterday.  They are in full accomodation mode now trying to make things easier for him.  He's smart...that is not the issue.  His grades are good but he has to work 3 times as hard and 3 times as long on assignments because of the Dysgraphia.  I'm curious if anyone else has a child with it?  Here is a basic definition of what it is...

Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects writing, which requires a complex set of motor and information processing skills. Dysgraphia makes the act of writing difficult. It can lead to problems with spelling, poor handwriting and putting thoughts on paper. People with dysgraphia can have trouble organizing letters, numbers and words on a line or page. This can result partly from:

• Visual-spatial difficulties: trouble processing what the eye sees
  • Language processing difficulty: trouble processing and making sense of what the ear hears

As with all learning disabilities, dysgraphia is a lifelong challenge, although how it manifests may change over time. A student with this disorder can benefit from specific accommodations in the learning environment.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstschool01

Re: Dysgraphia

Dysgraphia is a writing disability in which the individual's writing is incorrect or distorted. They exhibit poor writing skills such as illegible writing but have very strong verbal skills.
The treatment in this case may vary. Doctors sometimes suggest that individuals who suffer from Dysgraphia make use of computers so that they could altogether avoid the problem of having to write.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nevadasmama

Re: Dysgraphia

My son has dysgraphia (not diagnosed, but he does). He has many other challenges and learning disabilities. He struggles with reading, writing, math. Pretty much every thing. This does affect everything he does in writing and it makes it challenging for him to learn.
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,365 members 164,092 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: