New Contributor
empowermen40661

Does anyone know how to playfully teach your children to clean (their own mess) up?

I strongly believe to teach my kids good and right habits, I should now (as they are young) create pleasant and positive associations with those habits. Like for example cleaning (their own mess) up.

Is their a playfull way to teach people to help clean up in the household.

I know in kindergarten/daycare they sang songs about cleaning up and then all the kids would start cleaning up, but I don't think it will work at home, because cleaning up is not something we do after a certain activity or as part of the daily routine, like it was in kindergarten/daycare.

So it would be nice to have some ideas to playfully teach my children at home to clean up their stuff! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

Re: Does anyone know how to playfully teach your children to clean (their own mess) up?

Here are a few ideas from the editors at Parents. Secrets to Cleaning with Kids

My favorite ideas from the article:

- Turn on music and give a few small tasks. Challenge your child to finish each task during the length of a song.

- Turn cleaning into a game, aka "Clara's Cleaning Company," and outfit them w/ some fun cleaning gear.

- Show your appreciation when they help.

You mention that the songs they sang at kindergarten may not work because it's not part of a daily routine. Perhaps you and your kids can make up your own song related to the tasks you want them to do and then you can incorporate it into your daily or weekly routine.

Let us know what you try!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Lynda_Way

Re: Does anyone know how to playfully teach your children to clean (their own mess) up?

I also have a strong-willed toddler so I can understand very well how difficult it is to make them learn anything. So putting play to their work is the best way to make them learn anything. Find playtime and then say “let us play the cleaning-room game”. It’s obvious that your every playful approach is not going to work. But never lose hope and always be ready to try lot of different things.

Pacific Preschool & Kindergarten is an administration running preschool in San Marcos, CA. We understand the needs of children, parents and staff as well.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
iheartchorecharts

Hi! I am a mother of 6 and have the perfect solution for you. I struggled for years to get my kids to pick up and got tired of the arguing! In a moment of desperation, I came up with chore charts detailing every step to obtain a clean room! Go to www.iheartchorecharts.blogspot.com and see the awesome charts! Some other fun ways to get your kids to clean are:

Set up the twister mat placing small jobs on many of the dots. Have the kids stand back and throw a beanbag and they run to do the job they landed on, have your child work for the purpose of surprising a family member, Edit a board game with jobs on different spaces and shake the dice or spin your way to cleaning. This works better with smaller jobs. For a quick clean up of the house, put an ice cube in a pan on low and see if the kids can finish their chores before it melts, blindfold your kids and see if they can still clean, have children draw a job out of the hat and have them do that job for the next 20 minutes, pretend to be the health inspector and reward the children if the job is done to your satisfaction, red light/green light cleaning works well too, hide a small object in a messy room. Have the kids clean until they find it.

Overall, the job charts I use are the absolute best and have helped so many moms! Good luck!

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Chore charts!  We use them and they are wonderful. 

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
mumsafari

[ Edited ]

I had regularly asked my daughter, 8, to fold her own clothes and mop her room. My son, 5, will mop his own room. Although he is not a perfect cleaner but i liked his spirit in cleaning. Since its school holiday, they started to brush the toilet too. Sometimes, I'll just pass them a rag and they can help me wipe the furnitures. Everyday, they will put their dirty cup / plate at the sink for washing and dirty clothes into the basket for washing. It's been a routine and they don't need reminder to do simple chore.

How do i get them to do it? Just get them to do it....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstschool01

Your babies learn best when information is presented in a playful, engaging manner. Toddlers and children learn most by immitation. Now it's upto you to show them the ways. Do the things yourself you want to teach them,they will automatically learn. Engage your babies in various learning activities, read story books, show videos.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 724 members 118,066 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: