Occasional Visitor
randkris1108

Do you ground your five year old?

My five year old got in the pool without his life jacket when I specifically told him not to.  A friend of mine was watching him but she didn't make him put his life jacket on.  (lesson:  NEVER have someone else watch your kid at a pool!)  He is grounded from playing with his friends and tv.  I just can't decide how long I should ground him.  Or, if I should ground him at all.  I just want him to know how serious it is to get in the pool without me and without a life jacket.

goofy
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: Do you ground your five year old?

Yikes, that's huge.  He needs to know you mean business with this one with it being a difference between life and death.  With my 5 year old we do take certain toys and favorite things away with bad behavior.  She has to earn them back.  We don't actually ground her per se' but we ground her from her favorite items I guess.  Does he enjoy swimming a bunch?  If so, my thought would be to ground him from that for sure and keep telling him why he can't swim and the mistake that he made.  Make him tell you about pool safety and pool rules before he earns the right to swim again.  Good luck!  It's harder on the parents sometimes with grounding and punishment! 

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
linda9997

It's not too young to ground him . My son is 5 and did the same thing so I told him we were not going swimming the next day and we didn't so the next time he went he made sure he put his life jacket on!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
lbogart7

I have a soon to be 5 year old. I usually do the serious talk with time out followed by taking favorite toys. I wouldn't go further than what you did because that age is still so young to always be cautious... That's why like you said never have anyone watch your kids. I am the same, only my husband or I. I'm sure he will learn his lesson :smileyhappy:
Posted from HTC First
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,529 members 177,804 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: