ModChristine

Bullies at school

My 4th grader had issues with a bully at school last year. My son was new at this school last year. This particular child (bully) liked to "pants" kids when teachers weren't looking, use foul language and instigate every chance he got. I communicated with his Mother, the school teacher and the elementary principal. I felt like while they addressed the immediate issue, the child continued to do this to my son and others throughout the year. My son kept trying to fit in and be friends with this child just so he wouldnt be bullied by him. School starts again soon and I'm afraid the problems could potentially start again. Any advice on how this could be handled differently?
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Bullies at school

This breaks my heart Christine! We had a situation like this and it just wears on children that get bullied.

I did the same thing you did and it continued. I finally started showing up every day at school and not leaving until I got someone who was willing to make some changes.

I asked if the bully could be removed from the classroom and they didn't think that was fair to the bully. I then insisted that my child was moved to another class after talking to my child about it. They decided that wouldn't be best for my child. I am pretty sure I had steam coming out of my ears after hearing that:smileyhappy:

I went on to contact the super as well as the distrct attorney. I said that I would show up to school every day with my child at the start of school. If she was not placed in a new classroom, I would leave with her and continue her education at home. I am not joking when I say it took two full weeks for them to change her classroom. The good news is that as soon as my child was moved, all of her acting out stopped. The bully made my daughter so scared that she pulled her own hair out. The bad news is that the bully never recieved proper punishment, any punishment actually.

I saw the principle before the end of the school year (she loves me.....NOT!) I reminded her that if I was not happy with the teacher and students my children were placed with, I would do the ecact same thing all over again.

That was a very hard year for us. It put so much stress on our family. We live in a smallish community and word got around of what went on and I can't tell you how many people came up to me and said they were happy that I took a stand for what I thought was best for my daughter. One of the office ladies even gave me a card.

Lets put an end to mean kids (and mean parents) Squash it with love I say!

Tammy

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Wow, good job Mama!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I will definitely be more proactive this coming year if it happens again!

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ckcrow1

hi christine, i'm sorry that your child had to experience this while trying to recieve his education and i know it must have been so hard for you to take him back to school everyday knowing this might happen. you did everything right,,speaking to the teacher, principal and parent.i am going to suggest one more step, shout to the roof tops about whats happening to your child when the usual steps don't work. how? call the newspapers and the news stations . Get counselors for your son. so he learns coping skills to handle future situations. great job at being there for your child , with respect, cindy

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
staciedw

We have a bully in my daughter's 1st grade class too and I don't no what to do. The little girl teases her , telsl her she's prettier than my daughter, make her cry because she thinks it's funny. When my daughter stands up for herself ( asking her not to talk to her like that, and to leave her alone) she gets in trouble!!!! She says the other little girl never gets in trouble. I mentioned it to the teacher and she seperated them but that is it. My daughter is scared to tell on the other girl , because she does not want to get in trouble for being a taddle tale. Not sure what to do. My daugher told me this little girl is her enemy and asked to switch classes. I don't want her to be unhappy or scared at school because of this mean girl. Any advice on what to do would be helpful !

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ckcrow1

please get the school counselor involved. this is a proactive step in helping your daughter realize she's not alone and the other parent needs to be contacted about her inappropriate verbal bullying.if this does not stop it,change classrooms
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,204 members 179,825 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: