umichwife96

7 Year Old Daughter with bad sleeping Habits!! HELP!!

My 7 year old daughter has developed a "pattern" of some extremely off sleeping habits.   She goes to bed around 8:00pm EST and then proceeds to wake up at approximately 10:30-11:00.   From this point until morning, she is waking every 20-30 minutes, with at certain moments what seem like nightmares and other times, seems as though she has developed a bad habit.   She will not go back to sleep on her own and needs either myself or my husband to be present in her room with her.  Whether that means, laying on her bed, holding her hand and/or patting her back.  When we get up to leave the room, after she has dozed off, she proceeds to only sleep for 20-30 minutes, and come to us and ask us to lay with her.   This makes for an all around broken and horrible night of sleep for all of us.  

We have tried Melatonin, Warm milk, and even a lavender air freshener in her room.  There are a few nights when she has woken up with an accident, but those are getting fewer and far between. 

Any help/advice would be appreciated.   We are on our last rope. 

Thanks. 

Occasional Contributor
livsysjd

Re: 7 Year Old Daughter with bad sleeping Habits!! HELP!!

If this isn't usual for her, something may have happened or something may be going on.  This sounds beyond the normal growth spurt sleep changes.  Spend some one on one time with her and see if something is happening at school or somewhere else.  If the ultimate concern is sleep deprivation, you may want to consider putting her mattress on the floor in your room.  It won't last forever.  Talk with her and see what she thinks and how she feels.  Ask her if she has any ideas.  If she is really scared for any reason, then you should listen and support her through this time and growth.  Again- it won't last forever.  =)

emcarr1910

My almost two year old has been doing the same thing. He usually only wakes up once but sometimes it takes him hours to go back to sleep. We've tried so many things & nothing has worked. The interrupted sleep is bad for everyone!
Posted from Apple iPhone
tessethrem3

I wouldn't write it off as just a habit.  

I would take a few approaches though:

I would personally let her sleep with me :smileyhappy:  but that's my parenting style in general  -- 3 kids: 21,15,8... all healthy well adjusted & all :smileyhappy: and they were welcome anytime they had "issues" or weren't feeling well or just plain ole wanted to (reading & movie night in mom's room even). 

BUT I would definitely check with her pediatrician too.  See if it may be something physical that's just not obvious.

And maybe talk to her teacher... see if something is going on at school as well.  Something she may be stressing about that the teacher just might be able to pinpoint.

AND last but not least --- a sleep machine on the white noise setting.  I help out in a childcare home & they use it for naps and for their own child and even themselves!  Very very soothing.  It just may do the trick.

I wish you & her well...

xo

leilanievillase

During the summer my 6 year old then 5 was doing the same thing. When she started school she would do it more often. Everytime she got up I just put her right back into her bed, everytime. It got to the point where I bought sleepytime tea, but I didn't ever give it to her. Eventually she started doing it less and less. Now she stays in her bed the whole night. I have to admit that on the weekend she is allowed to sleep with eiither me in my bed, or my mom will fall asleep with her and leave the room once she's out. I think letting her have options on the weekends is okay, it let's her know that if she stays in her bed all week she gets a "free weekend" (friday and saturday night only) to sleep where she wants or have someone sleep with her. It seems to work for us, I hope you can find something that works for you all. Best of luck! 

hedstone

So sorry to hear about your daughter.  My son, now 21 was sick quite a bit when he was smaller, so he would sleep with us.  My husband would not tolerate him being up or coming into our room.  So we did let him sleep with us.  Down the road, finally in his own bed, we used a sleep light with music and sounds.  That would sooth him to sleep.  My younger son, now 15. Not as bad but the music worked for him.  He didn't really sleep with us but a few times.  Both are well adjusted kids.  Both who now both fall asleep to the tv.  (they are old enought to make their own sleep choices now. 

I would ask Dr though. For awhile my older son also had night terrors.  He has grown out of them

Occasional Contributor
rajeshkumar

You should spend one or two days with your daughter and try to know what problem she is facing. Some times kids do not share their problem with parents, so try to find out what she think and what's the problem with her.

Classteacher Learning Systems - Google Play Store | iTunes Play Store
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 705 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: