New Contributor
AbiMom74001

Midwife?

Hi everyone,

I'm the mom of a two year old girl, and we are about currently trying for our second child.  I have a good friend who had a great experience in both of her births with a midwife and that has caused me to start researching midwives in general, but I've gotten frustrated with the amount and quality of information available online.  I'd like to create a website to capture all of the information I've gathered in this process, but I'm not sure if other people would find it helpful or what information they would most like to see.

So I was wondering, is there anyone out there who has used a midwife?  How did it go?

What is the one thing you wish you knew going in to the process?

If you could design a site to help educate expectant parents about midwives, what would you like to see on it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: Midwife?

Our area has a lot of CNM/ARNPs. They all deliver in hospitals but the experience was definitely still different than using an OB. I've seen a CNM for last half of my first pregnancy, and my full second pregnancy and will use the same CNM I used for my second :smileyhappy: IME the CNMs are still less apt to rush towards medication and provide a lot more info on natural treatments than my OB does (the one I used first half of my first pregnancy is technically still my OB since the hospital based nurses have to practice under a doctor even though I've used a CNM for all my OBGYN care for the last three years). They have longer time slots/ lower patient loads than an OB does and also when I planned a natural labor and delivery they were super gung-ho about it and AMAZINGLY supportive in the l&d room. For me, since I have a history of postpartum hemmorrhaging, I need to have access to meds to force my uterus to keep contracting post delivery. I could have a homebirth if I used a CNM/ARNP but unfortunately there aren't any in our area that aren't hospital affiliated. But I feel like it's a good middle ground for someone who wants care that is less invasive, more personal, but to still have the security of a hospital birth too if that is something important to them :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AbiMom74001

Hi Cassie186,

That's the situation I'm in.  I was high risk with my first pregnancy and so need to be in a hospital for the delivery, but I'm drawn to the quality of care I've heard midwives provide.  So I'm trying to find a midwifery practice that deliveres in a hospital, but that's proving more difficult than I expected. 

How did you find your CNM?  Did you just google and then have to call around to find one that delivered in a hospital or do all CNMs in your state practice in hospitals?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

In my area the hospitals with birthing centers all have CNM staff. I found mine for the simple reason there were 6 CNMs in the office that I saw for dd1 and there are 3 CNMs in the office I go to now. If you check with your insurance it's harder to find because ARNPs won't show up in the provider list, but the OB they practice with will. CNMs can legally practice in all states, but some are more midwife friendly than others. Good luck finding someone!
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
heckert.samantha

Hello,

I used a midwife, and it was certainly a good decision for me. Before researching childbirth in America, I had no idea that the people who normally attend births were essentially surgeons, or people who specialized in complicated pregnancies, etc. I didn't know midwives were in hospitals and are the people who work best with women who are having a normal pregnancy. (By normal I simply mean uncomplicated and generally healthy.)

I did not have any complications, and I was healthy throughout my pregnancy. I had very minimal interventions, and I had a great birthing experience in a hospital because I chose to labor with a midwife. There were a lot of factors that went into that, but she listened to my requests and followed them 100%. I didn't ask for anything crazy--I just wanted to request pain medication once I was ready instead of having someone ask me if I wanted it, I wanted delayed cord clamping, and I wanted the lights dimmed. (She left them off and used a flashlight when I pushed! It was great.) I'm sure there are OBs out there who would have done the same, but I felt immense support from her. For example, there was a time when I had to be seen by a male OB because she wasn't in the office that day. He came in with a student and told me they were going to check my cervix. I said, "Oh, that's okay, you don't need to do that. I don't really want that." He told me it was his routine procedure. I should have rebuttled, but my pants were down, and I felt peer pressure because the student (who I didn't even know was going to be there) was looking at me along with him. That wouldn't have happened with my CNM.

Anyway, I'm obviously pro-midwife. I think they're great in our hospitals, and I wish our country had more of them! 

wahm, writer, dance and cheer coach
lover of scarves, cuddly kittens, and coffee

find me: www.samanthanicholeblog.blogspot.com
Please use plain text.
jocelynbraun934310

We have a great group of midwives in our area. I chose the midwifery group here because I'd see every one of them (a group of 8) throughout my pregnancy either at a prenatal appointment or at the open house they host four times a year. This made me feel very comfortable with who would be delivering our babies. 

For the site, I'd have a tip to be sure to call your insurance carrier and ask if they cover prenatal visits and delivery via a midwife. I think most will as long as there's access to a physician if necessary at the birth. I think its also important to note that midwives support the birth plan of the mother and father, whether they choose drugs or not. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jbrooket

I've had two experiences with midwives so far. One really good! And one really bad! The first one was when I was having our first child(who is now 2 and 1/2). We were seeing an OB but I decided to call around and find a local midwife to maybe assist in the birth. I had Group B Strep(GBS). I told her about it and she made it out like it was "no big deal" and that "you don't need antibiotics". Granted, I think there are a few things you can do to naturally destroy GBS, like taking probiotics and eating healthy cultured foods like yogurt and milk kefir...but seriously? No big deal? I was positive for GBS and due in less than a month...unless I could retest and get a negative, I felt like it was a big deal. Needless to say, that was the only conversation that I had with her. Not just because of the GBS thing, but she made me feel really uneducated and like I didn't know what I wanted for myself. Kind of demeaning even because this was my first rodeo.

My 2nd experience is with the baby we are having now. And it's really awesome! I'm 23 weeks along and we are currently seeing a midwife. The hospital we are delivering at has an OB office in the hospital. There are two main OBs and midwives that assist. Unless this pregnancy becomes high risk, we see our favorite midwife(Megan) for each doctor visit and she will also be delivering our baby in the hospital. But the awesome part is, if anything goes wrong, we are already in a hospital with an NICU and an OB is right down the hall in case our midwife needs help. Honestly though, our midwife so far has been very knowledgeable, I don't see a difference between her and our previous OB, and she's much more personable(and so are all the other midwives we've met with this pregnancy). She's also been very encouraging for natural birth and I don't feel like I'm just another patient or number. 

I think midwives are great. Just like I think doctors are great. I will probably choose a midwife over a doctor at this point, just because of my personal experiences but there are bad doctors just like there are bad midwives. Do your research online. Ask friends about their experiences with their doctors/midwives. Start "shopping" for OBs and midwives early on or even before pregnancy so that you can find who you want to stick with early on.  

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 381 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: