New Contributor
beckiestroud

Re: I'm 41 and expecting I'm 9 week's no heart beat found yet on ultrasound

Oh...and we did have a successful pregnancy three months after my loss. Don't give up!
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
csw_20

I am an ultrasound tech at an Ob/Gyn office.  You should be able to see the heartbeat on a transvaginal ultrasound (assuming it's a decent machine) by 6 1/2 weeks gestational age.  And definitely by 7 weeks.  The protocol at our office if the baby is measuring smaller than expected and there is no heartbeat (or if there is a slow heartbeat) is to have the patient return in 7-10 days for a follow up ultrasound.  

You didn't say what your gestational age is...  but let's say you think you are 8 weeks pregnant and the ultrasound shows a 6 week baby with no hearbeat.  There are 2 explanations:  either your dates are off and the baby should grow and have a heartbeat when you return in a week, or the baby has died.  Unfortunately all we can do at that point is to wait and see what things look like in a week.

If you have had 3 ultrasounds and there is no heartbeat, I'm so sorry but that does not sound like good news to me.  But this is a conversation you should be having with your Ob/Gyn or his/her nurse.  They can discuss with you what your options are.  You would not need to have the D&C if you didn't want to (and I'm assuming again that you're less than 8 weeks pregnant), you could wait to let nature run it's course or you could take a medication called cytotech.

I had a loss myself at 12 weeks, and I know how difficult it is.  I chose the D&C.  I am truly sorry I don't have better news, but again, this is definitely a better conversation to have with your doctor than online.  Hang in there, you will get through this.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
beckiestroud

I just saw you are only nine weeks...at least wait three more weeks for the standard ultrasound time at twelve weeks. It is still early especially to hear that early.
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
Vaughn.robin08

I was told that my daughter was gone on 12/31/12. Dr wanted to do a D&C. I decide to wait and finally at 11 weeks there was her heartbeat. Hang in there, If you have lost the baby your body knows what to do.

Please use plain text.
kforonato1

Has you had weekly blood draws done? I had pregnancy symptoms and after numerous blood draws and U/S's, blood levels were not increasing & U/S confirmed the inevitable: no heartbeat, non-viable fertilized egg (aka blight ovum). The Dr advised the bad news (fertilized egg attached and did not properly develop, but my body acted as if I were carrying a viable fertilized egg) and recommended a D&C (shorter recovery). My only other option was to wait for my body to abort naturally (longer process and psychologically taxing). After I received the news, I researched the topic endlessly. While some women have had heartbeats show up several weeks after 8-9 weeks, others were in same predicament I was in. I know the news is hard to process (after all, this was my first pregnancy) and devastating, please do your research and come to your own conclusions. I was 37 when this happened. I opted for a D&C. Approximately 1 1/2 years later, I found myself pregnant again and went on to deliver a healthy baby girl. My heart aches for you as I know your concerns & pain. You'll know in your heart what's best for you and your situation. Just remember to take care of yourself.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
laurengerc

My SIL had an experience where her OB said the pregnancy wasn't viable and wanted to schedule a D&C. Her husband was out if town so she wanted to wait until he was back/with her. A week later they did an ultrasound before the D&C and found a healthy baby growing. I would personally wait. You never really know conception date do you could be off on hoe far along you are and you may find something I. A week or so. I also wonder like PPs whether there have been HCG levels done or any tests other than just am ultrasound.
Good thoughts your way!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
becky85blue

With both of my pregnancies I wasn't able to hear the heart beat until after 16 weeks because of the way the babies were positioned and because apparently I have a inverted uterus, but my doctor performed a quick ultrasound and I was able to see the heart beating even though I couldn't hear it. I'm surprised your doctor didn't do that but I would say don't panic and have faith that soon you will be able to hear your little angel and later feel the flutters and movement :smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,317 members 142,517 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: