jessicatorypall

Re: Doctor recommends smoking?!

I have heard a lot of people say this before. I don't know whether a doctor would say that or not, but I do know that it is not THAT hard to quit!!!

I smoked a half to a whole pack of cigarettes a day for 10 years, but when I found out I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey without any problems. Knowing I was responsible for another life was enough to help me ignore the cravings..... I haven't had a cigarette in 32 weeks, and my baby boy is growing healthy and strong.

It's all about giving up your own wants for your child. Isn't that what being a parent is all about?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mommies_helping.mommies

I have heard that,  my doctor said the same thing to me.  She told me at my first Ob appointment to slowly cut down,  1 cigarette a week until I could quit.  She said that quitting Cold Turkey would cause me to miscarry my baby.  I cut down to a couple a day,  but wasn't able to give it up completely.  Judge me if you'd like,  but My Son is perfectly fine,  and was 8'12oz at birth.  He's absolutely perfect, not a thing wrong with him. 

Posted from Le Pan II
Please use plain text.
Visitor
apaille3

If this woman has no problem smoking while she's pregnant and drinking soda while she's pregnant shes probably not going to have a problem doing it once the baby arrives. Mother only carries a child for nine month. She should do everything possible to ensure that it is a safe healthy pregnancy
Posted from LG P760
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bdarke2

Doctors often recommend that pregnant women do not consume any soft cheeses and processed meats that are eaten cold, like deli meats, to avoid a bacteria called listeria, of which there are several species. Pregnant women, as well as the very old, very young and people with weak immune systems, are more susceptible to this bacteria.

Please use plain text.
key2006

I have heard of this several times. The baby is used to having it now in their system and by quitting it could cause a great amount of stress physically on the baby and the mother. I am not a smoker nor do I drink or use drugs. Sometimes it would be just too much of a shock to the system and so mothers are advised to cut back and not just quit.

Please use plain text.
krichmond423

Smoking is something you should quit anyway, but doing it while pregnant is just selfish! The ENTIRE time my mom was pregnant with me, she drank Dr.pepper and smoked..  I've never smoked and when I found out I was pregnant I didn't even let people who did near me.. 

Please use plain text.
charileev

I've actually heard this before, my friends sister and an old co worker both said the same thing about smoking and their doctors saying it was ok. I think it's crazy
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 467 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: