New Contributor
ginagski1

Re: Doctor recommends smoking?!

I work at a domestic violence shelter and we had someone come in that was a high risk pregnancy. The doctor told her that it would cause too much stress on not only her, but the baby if she were to quit smoking cold turkey. She did have to cut back though. I didn't agree with it. I completly  gave up caffine when I was pregnant.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ginagski1

I was also told to give up cold cuts, and other cold meats. If I wanted them they had to be warmed up. Also no cold hot dogs, not sure who would eat those though.

Please use plain text.
mz426

I have heard that doctors recommend that women who are smoking and become pregnant cut down as much as possible. They are discouraged to quit cold turkey because it would be a shock not only to the mom's system but also the baby. Obviously doctors discourage their patients from smoking but some believe that if the mom is able to wean herself off gradually that it would be better for the baby. As for mountain dew, I believe you are only supposed to have a certain amount of caffine a day so if that is what someone would like to drink instead of a cup of coffee then I believe that would be fine although unhealthy.

Please use plain text.
rockermom31

Wow!  Even if this doctor did say something ridiculous, just google the effects of smoking while your pregnant.  What the hell is wrong with people.  I am a smoker and I have had three pregnancies in which the second I found out I was pregnant I stopped smoking.  All three of my children were just fine and healthy.  So that my firend is a MYTH!!!  Sounds like the lady just doesn't want to quit.  Sad situation.

Please use plain text.
msheffield323

@venicebeach2181 deli meat hasn't been allowed during pregnancy for a long time, neither are hot dogs.
Posted from LG E610
Please use plain text.
lmi_21

I didn't find out I was pregnant with my first until I was almost 4 months pregnant.  My doctor did tell me not to quit cold turkey, but to do it gradually.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
leo7231991

A friend of mine was told the same thing. So instead of continously smoking like she wasnt pregnant she cut dwn the usage. I quit the nigjt i found out fortunately it wasnt a strong habit in the first place.
Posted from LG MS770
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 438 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: