Contributor
ambernicole664

Re: Doctor recommends smoking?!

OMG! Ive JUST wrote the same thing in my question (well part of it)! Went to the hospital the other day and the Dr. told me that i would cause more stress on me AND the baby if i quit cold turkey and that it is a common cause of miscarriage. Anyone ever hear of this? Im so confused.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ambernicole664

Christine, how very judgmental of you. Internet bullying of pregnant women? AND as a moderator? You should be ashamed of yourself. As for YOUR record, my doctor had said something similar to me, so your assumptions are/could be wrong. Youve had 3 kids, not 3000. Youre no expert. Now that i've noticed most of these community boards are in your hands, i will NOT be using them and will make sure to send a wonderful letter to the editors of this site with an explanation as to why. These boards are for support, not for judging.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jellybeanmag

It's true, I'm a smoker and was told the same thing, that it is more stressful on both mother and baby to stop suddenly and to wean off, or only have 2-3 smokes per day.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Contributor
deb77k

I had a close family friend, a 2-pack-a day smoker, get pregnant.  She had a high risk preganacy and was told by her doctor not to quit as it would cause too much strain on her body. She was allowed one per day. Her daughter is now 16 years old, very healthy, smart, and extremely athletic.  Yes, it is strange to hear, but we have to remember that 40 years ago, no one was told to quit smoking or drinking.

--Deb--
First timer
Due ~ 12/10/14
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
edeweyvogt

In some cases withdrawal can definitely put our bodies under some significant stressors, NOT good for the baby. Smoking should be quit not cold turkey but with patches, e-cigs, and even tapering usage and keeping a journal of each cig you smoke to make sure you smoke fewer the next day. Caffeine however? That's just stupid. No one ever died from caffeine withdrawal.
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

My Angel Baby Girl (6w, then MC). Michelle Cersei
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

New peanut; Hoping for a take home baby. First trimester driving me to panic, hope not to lose her to another MC, or even a stillbirth :'(
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
We love you peanut!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
hockey_gurl2323

I know someone that couldn't quit smoking while pregnant because it would raise her blood pressure too much if she were to quit. recommended to cut down but to not quit.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
casservin

My doctor told me the same thing. Addiction is a addiction and withdrawls are hard on the body. Someone addicted to heroin would never ever be told to quit cold turkey because it could kill them out right, alcohol or any other hard substance, the like. While we might have the will power and go-get-em'ness to quit all at once and deal with the symptoms and side effects of not smoking, the baby essentially comes into existance with the nicotine addiction and a cold turkey withdrawl is harder on the tiny baby body and developing mind than it is on ours. Cold turkey quiting is like all of sudden depriving the LO of something that has been there since it came to be. That is why it's important to wean yourself down. 5 for a couple days, 4 for a couple days 3 then 2 then 1, you get the picture. Then LO has a chance to adjust. The all of a sudden withdrawls from the chemical plus mom's high blood pressuse from her own withdrawl could cause complications, serious ones even. My quit date is the 25th. Good luck to all. 

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 820 members 108,942 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: