youloveit611

Re: Doctor recommends smoking?!

I smoked up until I was 2 and a half months pregnant but I had no idea I was pregnant I quit as soon as I found out because my dr RECOMMENDED I quit .. I would double check with your OB cause that is the most insane thing ive ever heard
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
malbertson88

I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant! And I smoked a half a pack a day. I knew it was bad for the baby so I quit. The doctor told me it was a good choice. It was hard to quit but every time I wanted one I just rubbed my belly and said the baby is more important. My mom smoked with all 4 of us and drank ALOT of mt. Dew and we all have issues. Anything from asthma, sinus issues, constant headaches, vision issues, and the worst seizures. Yes I know some can be caused from other things but I blame them on her smoking before during and after. I'm now pregnant with my second but I don't think Ill continue to smoke after the baby. But my oldest who is 6 didn't know I smoked till 2yrs ago. I didnt smoke around her or in my vehicle or in my home. Wow this woman is absurd. She probably says it's ok to drink alcohol and do drugs while pregnant! Some people just shouldn't have kids. Smh
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
cmbelleau73576

Yes. They did with my last pregnancy. It was unplanned and I was going through a lot at the time. I was smoking 2 packs a day and drinking 2-3 pots of coffee a day. My doctor said cut back as you can but quitting can cause more stress on the baby. I did quit, but it took a lot to do. The coffee was hard to kick so I didn't quit that.

Quitting smoking is hard. Tobacco is 10 times more addictive than heroin and the withdrawals are horrid. To put a baby through that is a higher risk than smoking itself. That isn't a free pass however. She should do her best to cut back without going through withdrawals.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brentleysmom.ah

I am a current smoker and pregnant with my second child. With my pregnancies I have had two different doctors. Both of wich mentioned that completely stopping would be traumatic. They recomended I stop slowly or if I continued to smoke then to smoke much less than what I did before. I have majorly cut down smoking and plan to quit slowly.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I747
Please use plain text.
chelseacorle064

She may have gotten confused with what the doctor said. With caffine and nicotine you need to slowly quit because quitting cold turkey could harm the baby, it is much easier on them to cope when you do so slowly.

Posted from Barnes and Noble BNTV600
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
teresarose06

I've actually heard the same thing. The stress of quitting could cause too much stress on the baby. Of course I'm sure he also asked that she cut back as much as possible and if it didnt stress her that it would be ok to quit but not to quit all at once, 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wlove4642

Actually if you find out your pregnant late into the pregnancy I believe the dr said it but don't agree. I had a friend who found out at 6.5 months and thankfully she didn't drink or party but she smoked cigarettes and the dr said it might put the baby in nicotine shock if she quit cold turkey right then. I have never heard about pop or anything else but cigarettes yes.
Posted from Android 4.1
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 660 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: