New Contributor
adreanna.marie22

Baby Girl on the way at 18, this is my story.

I am 18 years old and am expecting a baby girl December 23rd. Some may read this and judge, however, I am just here to tell my story to give others my age hope if they are going through the same obstacle.
I was on birth control due to heavy/irregular flows, but I wasn't necessarily taking it every night like I was supposed to, and I wasn't taking extra precautions either. Still being in high school at the time (when I started this journey), I had seen many girls younger than me getting pregnant and being so excited, almost like they planned it. I was scared, my period hadn't come, but I was putting off a pregnancy test thinking maybe it was just late because of my inconsistency taking my birth control. I finally took one, and at the time, I was 17. Needless to say, the whole, "set the test on the counter and wait two minutes for results" became a reality in like 20 seconds. Two pink lines. I cried. I couldn't even think. Let's just say I took a total of three pregnancy tests, a total of six pink lines. I even went to Planned Parenthood and got an ultrasound done to make sure. At 17, I somehow believed that all of the tests could have been wrong. Thankfully, my boyfriend, who has been my best friend for six years didn't leave when I told him. He didn't even budge. He wanted to talk to our parents right away. I wasn't ready. At all. His parents took it hard, as did mine. I mean, how could you not? Your child that you raised and who should be picking and choosing what college to attend at the ens of high school just told you they have a child of their own on the way. I fought with my parents so much after this because they were obviously hurt and dissapointed. But at the time, I was too stubborn to see. Now, I am 32 weeks pregnant, and it hasn't been easy. But once I realized that this is reality, I got my butt in gear. My now husband (No, we did not just get married because I was pregnant, we had been talking about it for a while) and I attend classes through Teen Outreach Pregnancy every week. Learning about pregnancy and the changes that my body will undergo, labor, epidurals, and so much more. It is meant strictly for moms to be under the age of 21, and I would definitely say that if you are a teen mom, taking classes that are geared towards your age group would be helpful for not only you, but your soon to be little one as well. We also take classes through the hospital, which aren't geared towards our age, but we need all the knowledge we can get!
We both graduated high school in the top 15 percent of our class in May. He got a full time job that pays extemely well, and I worked as well, until I got put on bed rest. We save most of our money, and are lucky enough to have people in our lives that are willing to help us. My husband joined the Air Force and we are doing everything we possibly can to be ready for this life changer. But now that everything is settled down, we are beginning to get more and more excited!
Nothing is impossible. Don't give up. Don't be one to add to the percent of teen moms that just give in.
People are going to judge, but that's just it, you made a grown up choice to have sex, knowing it could lead to a baby. Be the grown up you decided you were going to be, and take responsibility.
Stay positive! :smileyhappy:
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: Baby Girl on the way at 18, this is my story.

Thank you for sharing your story!

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Contributor
julia.ramus

Good for you! Congratulations!
Posted from HTC ADR6300
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
shalemarykay

I got pregnant for the first time when I was just 20 and I had started college but never finished because I was pregnant. I had a job at the time which paid my bills, but I wasn't serious with the father of my baby. Later on when I was 5 months I started dating a man that is now my husband and has been a wonderful father to my first daughter. Needless to say my parent were just about furious with me when I told them I was pregnant and I dreaded telling them. It all worked out in the end and she is now 5. I am still working on finishing my college because I want to while I stay at home with my 2 girls. We also just found out I was pregnant with our 3rd. It just shows you that if you set your mind to it you can get through anything and it will all work out in the end. Good luck and I am glad you have stuck with it.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
malbertson88

I got pregnant with my first fresh out of high school. I had no issues tho. I was always independent and the father was there. I had a full time job and took care of myself. But I'm glad you posted this. It's nice to know that there is some hope in the younger crowds that actually have a good head on their shoulders. I don't support teen pregnancy just because I've been there and I know how hard it is but if only the rest of these teens who get pregnant can be as smart as you guys and man up to responsibilities instead of relying on the parents to raise their children while they party and continue to live the " normal" teen life then teen pregnancy would be a lot easier to grasp. I wish you guys the best of luck!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,300 members 140,157 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: