Occasional Contributor
Annabel_52598

Amniocentesis -- positive experiences

I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant. I've been out of work for 2.5 weeks on my doctor's orders due to borderline PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) and high levels of amniotic fluid. He wants me to have an amniocentesis done at about 36 or 37 weeks to find out if my baby's lungs are fully developed. If they are, he wants to deliver the baby at that time. I'm fine with the early delivery, but the amniocentesis has me absolutely terrified.

Can anyone share some positive or, at least, it-wasn't-as-bad-as-I-expected stories about amniocentesis to calm my nerves? Please no horror stories. My blood pressure is high enough already!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rhi19

Re: Amniocentesis -- positive experiences

I had one at 16 weeks as my tests showed I had 1 in 5 chance of my baby having Downes or Edwards syndrome. I'm not going to lie and say it's all pain free but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting and it didn't last as long either. I had my husband with me who stayed up by my head to stop me looking down at what was happening. Its not the nicest thing but the short amount of discomfort is worth it for the outcome it'll bring. The way my midwife described the pain was likening it to a bee sting.
I hope it all goes well for you x
Posted from Samsung GT-I9505
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
spatchin911

Amnio's are SCARY    I'm not gonna lie. They really are scary when you don't know what to expect. 

I've had 2 amnios years and years and years ago. Now the technology is SO much more advance and precise.

Your Dr would NEVER order a test that he/she didn't feel was medically necessary for the health and well-being of you and your baby. Both my children were better for my having the amnios!

Amnio's involve large needles.  Needles are scary all by themselves. Add a concerned Dr, High bloodpressure, high fluid....the worry increased which makes you more scared.But needles only hurt for a short time. The results of the amnio can help your Dr choose what courst to take in protecting both you and your baby.

B~R~E~A~T~H~E. Don't let yourself get caught up in the what-ifs and the worry.  As the young'uns say "It is what it is" If you fret and worry - you'll worry yourself and your baby into a hospital bed

If you find a way to "Let it go" - you will lower your BP, make yourself healthier for your work/labor to come.... and lessen your frown lines,<---and who needs those?

All medical tests have Risks involved with them. Dr's know those risks and weigh them against the risk to mother and child of "not knowing" the results. An informed decision on a course of care is infinately better than a decision made without information that "could have been" available through a test.

Take good care.

I'm praying for both you and your baby!

T~R~U~S~T your Dr. to do the right thing for you and your baby. That's his/her job.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Annabel_52598

Thank you ladies so much for the responses. Luckily, I'm not going to need it! I'm sure someone else will find this helpful in the future, though.

I saw my doctor yesterday, and he said my blood pressure has been much better and my fluid levels haven't gone up at all. He's no longer worried those issues will cause the baby problems, so he says we can wait until I'm at 38 weeks and we'll deliver then. No amnio needed! So it looks like my delivery date will be February 18.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
TeaBee

I thought my amnio was going to be painful and I went in expecting the worst. Turns out I worried for nothing. It felt like a small poke and in a few minutes it was over. I had some mild cramping over the next few days and then it was gone. Before going in I watched videos on Youtubes, BIG MISTAKE! It made me freak out even more. :smileysad: I think getting my blood drawn hurt more than having an amnio. 

Glad you don't have to have the amnio. :smileyhappy: For those who have stumbled across this, the proceedure isn't as bad as you think it's the waiting for the results that's the hardest!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 307 members 54,078 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: