Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: oops I did it again - leaking when I sneeze and exercise

If you have diastasis recti kegels on their own can actually make things worse. Also the way people describe kegels a lot of times isn't really the right way to do them (instead of thinking about it like you're stopping pee think about it as you're sucking a tampon up into you, so it's more in the middle instead of the front). The other thing that you need to do along with your kegels is lots of squats. Your glutes will help pull your pelvic floor up and relieve pressure off the sphincters that hold it all in as they get stronger.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dlprickel

Great - thanks for the info.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

Kegels do not help!! I did them all through pregnancy, and still do them.. and still pee on myself when I sneeze or cough.

NOT FUN.. the other day (blame pms) i seriously cried because I can't even listen to running water as I do dishes without peeing on myself

OH and not to mention the THOUGHT of running water does it as well.

There has to be something else besides kegels.

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

How are you doing your kegels? I just started PT again and come to find out I was only doing them half right, lol.

If you are doing the usually talked about use the muscles to stop a pee, you are doing them all up front and that can actually make it worse. Instead you want to contract your pelvic floor so it comes up (hence the idea of sucking a tampon up). So I was doing that half right- but the other half my PT so kindly let me know I wasn't doing right is you need to bring your belly button in toward your spine at the same time. Since I've added the second step to them I've noticed a huge difference.

Also other things she has me doing are clamshells, bridges, and adductors using a ball while I'm lying on my back. These are all helping TONS with my pelvic disfunction and consequently my pelvic floor is much stronger too. Anything that strengthens your pelvis will make your pelvic floor tighter and stop the stress incontinence.
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 6,381 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: