lap25220

What age do you start letting your kids play with iPad or go on the internet supervised?

What age do you start letting your kids play with iPad or go on the internet supervised?

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: What age do you start letting your kids play with iPad or go on the internet supervised?

With my 10 year olds, they have tablets but know the rules.  Their devices are password protected and only my husband and I know the password so if they want to download any new apps or games, they have to come to us.  I can't remember at what age...I think maybe around 8?  That said, my daughter who is special needs has been using an ipad since she was 3/4.  However, she does not know how to get on the internet and every app she has is approved by us.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
father4five

Re: What age do you start letting your kids play with iPad or go on the internet supervised?

Its all about being with them at least until age 14. Think about it this way: When would you let them walk alone in town - and when would you let them walk in any area they choose? Not before they are able to make the right judgement. Same goes for cyberspace. Lots of good areas out there, and lots of places where you need to know where you're going.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
msunewsgirl

My 4-year-old is well versed on my iPad. It's helped him learn how to write, spell and sound out small words. It also helped a lot with hand-eye coordination and a child who we thought at 2 was NOT going to be very athletic, at four seems to have a lot more hand-eye coordination needed for athletics.

He's not completely unsupervised, but he's generally on the couch while I'm across the room or cooking dinner and can see him. He knows the code to unlock the iPad, but not the password to purchase items.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
konvoice

This is becoming quite the issue for me, we have a laptop in the kitchen, which is really for everyone's usage except my son's. Now he's starting to ask why can't he play and I'm beginning to feel forced to work on it after he goes to bed so I don't have to go through that conversation all over again with him. But my wife is right, eventually we need to allow him his own windows account so he can play, but these parental settings in Windows are a bit tricky and seem way too permissive for me and I dread at the thought of him browsing the web and finding all sorts of filth. I don't how easy it is to circunvent the system, but you hear stories.

An ipad is even more out of the question for me, although he has already mentioned his friends having one. Personally I find it insane. Those kids are only 4-5 years old! In a single generation we get this huge leap in expectations, that I am having a bit of trouble swallowing, because these devices are not made for them! And I think it's unfair that the overall industry seems to be pushing this more and more without providing anything appropriate for them. I don't say we should bar computers to children altogether, but let's face it. Their design is anything but kid friendly. Oh and did I mention the internet is full of filth and ill-intentioned people? I must have, because it scares the living daylights out of me, that the first contact my kid will have with the world at large will be angry, violent, insane people who post all sorts of deeply damaging stuff for posterity, disguised as humor. There is something deeply wrong with is world if we are forgetting that children need their innocence in their early years to develop into good-natured adults. 

Anyone with me on this? If I strike you as a deeply worried dad, well, that's because I am one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

My oldest is 5 (almost 6) and we have not let her do that. She has friends her age that DO have their own iPads or some other tablet type of thing. I just cannot fathom spending $100+ on a tablet for a child. It is ridiculous to me. She has an Innotab and I think that will quite enough for her until she is older. As for the actual computer? I tried once to let her play games on a site like Nick Jr, but using the mouse was too complicated for her. We, as her parents, don't even have tablets or iPads, so no, I don't think we will be getting her one anytime soon.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
konvoice

This house is full of technology, I think that is the key problem with our son. He wants to use it, because he grew up around it, and although he is too young to understand the concept of double standards (or is he?), he already feels like he's getting the short end of the stick and it's a very difficult conversation to have, because he just comes back with and endless string of "whys". I have a computer in the kitchen and he can't use it, I have a laptop and an iphone for work, tucked away in our bedrrom, an xbox in the office, my wife has her android phone and he gravitates around these devices whenever we're using them. The xbox was simple, I just close all the adult games in a cabinet and let him play kiddy platformers with adequate ratings, plus the console has parental settings in place, which thankfully work. The problem is the other devices and I keep explaining that the xbox is the best of the lot, but he knows there's a lot more to do on these other devices. 

My brother told me this weekend there are safe browsers for kids, so I'll look into that. If I find anything I'll share here, because I'm sure this is now a common struggle with parenting, that my parents, for example, didn't have (I only had access to a computer when I was 14).

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 1,668 members 208,696 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: