Occasional Contributor
konvoice

Re: Safe computer for kids

Thanks for the feedback! I may be onto something in the meantime, though. My wife also asked around at her work, most of her friends have children and one of them recommended Magic Desktop. I googled for it this morning, here's what I got: http://www.magicdesktop.com/

I don't have time to try this out today, since I've got a doctor's appointment, but as soon as I have a free window, I'll sit down with my kid and set this up on the kitchen laptop. I'll share my quick review on it here, if it's any good, of course.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
konvoice

Ok, sorry for taking so long!

Here is the gist of it: This is Windows for children with parental controls built in and easily configured, now that's what I'm talking about!

What happens is that I set it up and once that is done, it just runs over the operating system with its own limited parameters to ensure the kid stays inside. The browser is pretty neat and fully locked to a directory of pages they've added, it seems, the e-mail looks nice (although I haven't configured an account it, because my kid is way too small for that), and to top it off it has a slew of toys and games with some preschool exercises to boot. All in all, my kid was just amazed. I managed to make boring Windows into Magic Windows, so now I'm his hero :smileyhappy:

By the way, mailed their customer service to see about what devices this works in and sadly it's a bit limited still, we're talking about Windows only and tablets will only have this if they run Windows 8. But at least now I know what sort of tablet I'll get my kid once I have the money. I got this with 3 installations by the way, which means I can use on the home pc, the laptop which I may be retiring soon and a tablet. These guys offered this for free, which was very nice of them.

Sad that it isn't compatible with more devices, especially for those of you who already have Ipads and such, but if you're on a budget and you want to get this for that old pc at home, you can. Great find!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zoesincubator

With your child's young age he should never be left unattended at the computer. You go to the website for him, show him what to click and what not to click. Give him small amounts of time each day on the computer building up to never more than an hour at a time. We set up our 4 year old in the same room as us and show her what to do making sure she never clicks on anything else. make sure you can always see the screen. You could do it around supper when the food is being made and let him know that once the food is ready it's time to get off of the computer. That way you don't have to go out of your way to make sure he's doing the right thing. I suggest Chrome or Firefox and getting the ad blocker in the add on section. Set him up with a child friendly site only (something like nick jr, or a preschool themed website as they rarely have outside links and plenty of age appropriate games to play with). In the future if you're able to spring for it you should get him a Nabi or Nabi Jr. They're extremely durable and have an android OS running in the background. Well worth the investment when compared to leap pads and a general tablet pc. Our daughter has been wanting to play minecraft and I'm not comfortable with her having the tablet so we set her up on the computer. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zoesincubator

I still suggest a Nabi or Nabi JR for a tablet as opposed to a regular one. It's made for kids like the leap pad but runs on an android OS in the background. It's super durable (my daughter started using hers when she was 3 and dropped it several times... still works). It also comes preinstalled with LOTS of awesome games. Even now she's not bored with it a year later.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
konvoice

I'll have a look at that once I think about getting a tablet. For now, I figure this will do.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 306 members 30,276 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: