Occasional Contributor
konvoice

Safe computer for kids

We recently had another topic here talking about this, but I think it's important to separate it because this is really becoming a problem and I need to start filtering some information so I can make a decision quickly. I tested several programs, namely some kid browsers and I find them limited in scope, it's not really using the computer for him, and he can tell... Is there some kind of OS for kids? Do you have any experience with parental controls? Please share your experiences with me, I REALLY need to make a decision on the short term, because my kid is very much interested in computers and I can't just simply hand one over to him, on the off chance he won't find disturbing stuff on the web, talk to strangers and other deeply scary things like that.

Any input from parents with experience with this would be most welcome. Oh and this is my wife's idea. So let's humor her, please :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: Safe computer for kids

:smileyhappy:  How old is your son?

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
konvoice

Hi! My little boy is almost turning 5! 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

Would he be happy with a kids tablet? I reviewed many on Amazon a few months back, read parents reviews, and asked my Facebook audience. A lot of people have gotten their young children Nabi's, iPad's, and Kindle Fire's.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
konvoice

Unfortunately, don't have a budget for a new device, the kitchen PC is the one he keeps asking to use, so I was looking for something that I could use there instead.
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Maybe the first page of this article will help?

http://www.parents.com/fun/entertainment/gadgets/safety-on-the-net/?page=1
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrsSKbearmom

[ Edited ]

So you want for him to be able to use the family computer? There are lots of kid-friendly websites out there that have free kids games on them, but in my opinion, you still have to sit there with them while they use it to help them and make sure they don't click on anything they shouldn't or change your settings, or order/pay for something.

Just yesterday my 5 yr old was home sick from school and while her brother napped I let her try out some games on several different websites, trying to find ones that she was interested in, were easy to navigate, and such. Using the mouse is probably the hardest part for her, and one game she played had her using the arrows and space bar will also take some getting used to.

During the last game she played, she actually said "This is fun mom!"

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 1,690 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: