sheafamily18

Overnight sitter

What should we pay for an overnight sitter from 5pm-9am. 7 kids, 4 families, ages 13, 9, 8, 7, 6, 3, and 2.5. All have played together and get along for the most part, normal bickering does occur. The 13, 9 and 2.5 are brothers and the 13 yr old has babysat for a few hours. Pretty good kids, the 2.5 and 5 yr old can be needy (not related).

She is a para for special needs kids (I work with her) and she worked with toddlers at a daycare.

Thoughts?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
rosthuy

Re: Overnight sitter

I would pay $9-10 for 2 then add $2 for every additional child. If the 13 yo is present & self sufficient & able/willing to help, don't pay sitter for his presence.

Pay rate would be for general awake hours 5pm-bedtime, then 6/7am (whenever the eariest riser is)- 9am. The sleep time I would provide a flat rate since the sitter will be sleeping as well (you don't have to pay for sitter during sleeping hours).

Hope this makes sense & helps,
Fellow nanny of 6 years
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
mrevilla92

I have been a nanny for 13 years and I agree with everything stated earlier except for not being paid for the 13 year old. Even if he is self sufficient you are still responsible for his well being just because he is 13 doesn't mean nothing can go wrong.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
kmsalonen

$20 an hr til midnight and at least $10 an hr after that for that many kids.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

You could start the negotiation by asking what her going rate is.

Tammy

Please use plain text.
AidaArriaga

I agree with most of the other responses. 

As a previous nanny for 5 years to 4 very active boys (now ages 14, 12, 10, and 7) I charged an hourly rate of $15/hr. for waking hours (aprox. 6 hours based on your info) and a flat $50 rate for the overnight.    Given how many kids you are asking her to watch and her background, you may want to consider increasing her hourly rate anywhwere up to $20 max. 

Based on these numbers, you're looking at a total of $140 to $170 for the night for all children.  Not bad when you break that down per famiy, it's only a little over $40 per family for an entire night (given the most expensive rate).  I easily pay that for a few hours out to dinner and a movie!

Best of luck.  If you still find that you are struggling coming up with a number, I strongly urge you to talk to your sitter and have her weigh in her thoughts.  I know it can be uncomfortable for both of you, but chances are she's already got a number in mind.  I've learned that not being paid failrly or the avoidance of discussion can lead to resentment and the loss of a family/sitter. 

Please use plain text.
jackie_ali

[ Edited ]

I've been nannying for 14 years so it depends on what state and city you lived in.  Each state and city has different rates.  

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 2,607 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: