New Contributor
daddysgirl1117

Kids and Sports

Hey everyone! I'm new here-- my baby will be here around the middle of May.I have heard a lot of pros and cons to kids being involved with sports. Has anyone had any direct experiences? Even opinions would be helpful as to if you are for it or against it and why. My sister and I were discussing this and I wanted to get some outside thoughts on it. Thanks in advance for your contributions. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: Kids and Sports

My kids aren't old enough to be involved in sports yet but I work as a horse riding instructor. I think with the current changes in education/ school, with the right schedule and coach, sports can be an excellent privilege for kids. It offers them a chance to interact with their peers, explore new talents and social skills, and of course physical exertion. But sports with the wrong coach, or the wrong attitude on the team, or unrealistic expectations from parents, can also be detrimental. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with a competitive attitude as long as good sportsmanship is also taught and sports aren't being approached with an all or nothing approach.
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daddysgirl1117

I have a few years to go before this will directly affect me as well, but I have seen alot of debates on the scoring of these events. I think that as long as the kids are willing to participate and want to be part of a team it could be great for them. Especially since I will be homeschooling. The huge controversy is in the scoring. I'm tempted to believe that if we give everyone an award for showing up, prehaps when they are older they will expect something for minimal effort. Your boss doesn't give you a raise or promotion based upon attendance in most work places, could we be sending the wrong message at this age?

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I am a Sports Mom.  Both of my boys ages 9 and 10 have been in sports since they were 4 years old.  Their main sports are baseball and football but they have an interest in soccer and basketball as well.  We just don't have the time to do them ALL :smileyhappy:  I was an athlete in high school and college.  I am so glad I was involved in team sports as a youth.  It taught me responsibility, dedication, team work, how to relate/work with people different than me in high stress (as high stress as youth can get lol) situations, pride in team and the list goes on.  My boys love sports.  They don't always love the team they end up on because as 9 and 10 year olds they aren't playing for their school yet.  They are consistently on one select baseball team that is a GREAT experience for them.  However, they also play on other teams they get drafted for instead of trying out for and those can be tough.  We have encountered coaches with anger issues that I do not agree with, my boys have heard bad language unfortunately from kiddos I wouldn't otherwise necessarily want them around.  There are definitely pros and cons but in my opinion as a former athlete and the Mom of two young athletes, the pros by far outway the cons.  We also do not ever force our boys to play anything.  It is always their choice.  However, once they do commit to being on a team we expect them to finish that season.  We do not promote quitting (unless there were an extenuating circumstance). 

I hope this helps.  :smileyhappy:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Regarding the scoring/trophies...this is my experience and opinion...When my boys were younger, they always kept score at their games and they always got a trophy from their coach at the end of a season for a season completed.  Win or lose, they got that trophy at the end of the season.  However, that stopped at about age 8.  Now, there is no trophy unless we play a tournament and place 1st or 2nd that weekend.  This was hard for them at first because they were used to getting a trophy at the end of a season no matter what.  However, they got used to it and it taught them that they have to work hard to earn that coveted trophy.  When they do earn it from all of their hard work, they don't forget how they got it.  Or when they win a game, the reward is the win...not a material object.  It's the satisfaction in knowing their hard work paid off.   I'm rambling but I think in the beginning, it was somewhat good for them to be rewarded for just "showing up" but now as they get older, it has changed and I'm good with that.  Does that make any sense?  Oh and the scoring...we always kept score at my kids games.  It helped them learn the rules to know the score.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daddysgirl1117

I want to first thank everyone for their contributions. This seems to be such a hot issue and I really lean more towards what Christine said: if there's a reward they are reminded of how they got to that point.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
amanda.baker174

My oldest son is 14 and very athletic. He plays basketball, football and runs track. He also used to play baseball ans soccer, so we have done it all! He has had a few injuries a concussion in basketball and a sprained ankle in football. Yes, those were scary things, there is no way to explain the terror when your 5'9" football player is carried to your car in tears! He However, I don't feel like we can live our lives in fear. He also suffered a concussion in p.e. at school! he could fall coming down the stairs at home and break his neck! Yes, sports can be dangerous, but life is dangerous. I wouldn't consider taking away something he loves just because he could get hurt. However I do attend some practices and we live in a small town so I know all the coaches. If they were taking unnecessary risks, or doing things that were outside of the normal risks associated with the activity then I would certainly speak up and put a stop to that. Also, if he were to suffer multiple head injuries I would reconsider contact sports. When he is injured we seek appropriate medical care and follow doctors orders to the t to make sure he can heal properly. He missed over 1/2 the football season with his sprained ankle, but I don't care, we followed the orthopedic surgeon's instructions and he healed beautifully, even the doctor was impressed. I feel the benefits of an appropriate athletic program outweigh the risks. If we never did anything risky I wouldn't have had kids!
Posted from Samsung SGH-I337
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 97 members 5,712 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: