Frequent Visitor
habgz5

Re: How late is too late for bedtime on the weekends?

I have 5 at home ages 17,14,9,2,& 8months. The older 3 may do midnight on the weekends during the school year. 1 a.m. during spring, summer and winter break. The littles latest is 9. Always. The nine year old is allowed to stay up with the bigs but is uusually out on his own by 10. RARELY, hell make it a little longer but not often.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
Please use plain text.
jessicagalinis

I feel you are being very judgemental of your friend What works for your family may not be what works for her. I have 3 kids 9, 10 & 18. There have been many occasions where they have stayed up late on the weekends and they were able to adjust & function just fine. Being overly rigid with anything with a child can effect them in negative ways as well you need to find where the healthy balance lies for your family.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
clairekuhlmann

As an elementary teacher, please, do not let your kids stay up past 10 on the weekends. They do not catch up in time for Monday and they are tired and grumpy. There's a great deal of bickering, inattentiveness, and heavy eyelids from my weekend night owls. Give your kids a fair chance in school, eh?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
whelanchr

My 10 and 7 year olds go to bed at 8 and my 2 year old at 7. They can read if they aren't tires. Most of the time they fall asleep quickly. Even going to bed at 8, my 7 yo is still tired and grumpy the next day. None of them sleep in. Their internal clocks get them up at 6:30 am regardless. I may let them stay up a few extra minutes on weekends but not much longer. They need sleep and I need peace. I don't remember staying up past 2 until college.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
masastanis

Does she homeschool her boys? Do they appear to get enough sleep and are healthy boys? If you answered yes to any one of these questions, then the answer to your question is this: it is absolutely NONE of your business. She is raising HER children as she believes works for them and you are raising yours as how you believe is best for you and your family. That being said, there is a time when parental neglect is an issue and something needs to be addressed - but not by you. Instead, it needs to be handled by your local family and children's services department and you can call them and make an anonymous complaint. But uh...I wouldn't be your friend anymore. I have mom friends and we ALL respect each other for how we all parent differently based on our individual values, beliefs, and needs - as individuals and as a family group. You should do the same. I have seen families with small children and school age children out on the ball fields until 9 and 10 o'clock at night - I don't like it, but I know it isn't their fault when practices don't start until 7 or 8 pm so that the coaches have time to get home from work. How would you like it if someone criticized you for your parenting choices? You probably wouldn't like it and wish that friend or person who questioned your choices would keep their nose out of it. Sincerely - a mother of six - four boys: 2, 10, 12, and 17 and two girls: 3 and 15 whose youngest kids are sometimes up pretty late because of the needs of OUR family - they still get plenty of sleep and are healthy.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
masastanis

Thank you! I absolutely agree. Everyone has to do what is right for their family and for each child as an individual.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ksully357

Each parent gets to make the decisions for the rules of their household.  What works for you may not work for them.  When my son was 9 he had a sleep study for some health issues.  His normal bedtime was 10 pm (We homeschooled so we didn't have to get up so early)  After his sleep study, his doctor informed me that I was putting him to bed to early.  He wasn't able to relax until well after 11pm.  The doctor told us to let him stay up later to accomodate his natural body rhythms.  He was able to get better, deeper sleep once we allowed him to go to bed when he was actually tired.  Now at 20, he goes to bed between midnight and 3am.  That is just his natural cycle.  Perhaps this mom has children with a similiar cycle and she gets tired of fighting to get them to bed.  

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 700 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: