Visitor
nickjax23

How late is too late for bedtime on the weekends?

Hi all,

I'm having a disagreement with a friend. Some background I have two children under 5 and she has four boys ages 6-15.

Recently in conversation, she mentioned that all the boys slept past noon on Saturday because they were all up until 4am the night before. I think 4am is too late for the 14 and 15 year old, but teenagers will be teenagers. I'm appalled that she let the 6 and 8 year old boys stay up that late though.

She says that I don't understand the dynamics of having 4 boys and that it's different when there are older and younger ones. I think that's a cop-out and that she has checked out as a parent on this issue, and that the younger ones still need structure and boundaries and have to go to be at a decent hour even on the weekends. 

I couldn't hide my initial reaction to hearing this from her, and although I've let the issue go and haven't mentioned it, she recently brought it up again and expressed how she was upset at being judged.

I don't think I'm wrong about this, but I'm interested in some other thoughts and opnions on this topic. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: How late is too late for bedtime on the weekends?

I have two boys ages 10 and almost 11. Their bedtime on school nights is 9pm and if we don't have anything going on Saturday then their Friday night bedtime is 10:30-11. At age 6 and 8 I would never ever consider letting them stay up until 4am even on a weekend. True I don't have teenagers as well but their little bodies (the younger boys) at those ages don't need to stay up that late and sleep until noon. That's my opinion :smileyhappy:
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timegnelson

My kids are 5, 4 and 21 months. My oldest goes to bed at 8 pm on school nights and 9 pm weekends. They may play in their beds past those times but I work hard to get them the sleep they need. And forget sleeping in! They're up by 7 am even when I want to sleep more. Can't believe anyone would let children stay up until 4. That seems so unhealthy!
Posted from Samsung SGH-I537
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
wantingyou60030@yahoo.com

I have 3 girls age 1 , 6 and 11 and we have a bed time when they have school . Its 8pm for the 6 year old and the 11 year old just got her bed time moved to 9pm. Also should mention we do not use a alarm clock I and my 11 year old wake up at 630 am like clock work. Weekends here are different Why must a child need to go to bed on a friday or sat early if we have nothing planned?  To me its ok to let children stay up later on weekend and school breaks to learn from thier bodies when they are tired and when they are not. Sunday its back to going to bed early and off to school in the morning. I think that i am always telling my kids what and when to do things but the weekend is thier time to relax and do what they want to do. Having said that I would never let the kids stay up later then me. So if I want to go to bed at 11 or 2 am that is the time they must go. I am not about to let my little monkey do what they want when I am asleep that is too risky

Please use plain text.
Visitor
KrHerrin

I have a one year old and his bedtime is 8 pm and he wakes up at 7am. But when he is older there will be a set bedtime for school and weekends. There's alway an exception to the rule such as being out for an activity and getting home late. I plan on giving him the same boundaries I had growing up. After age 10 or so on the weekends I was allowed to stay up but had to be out of bed by 9am no matter what. This was the rule for weekends and summers. We live in Alaska and it was my parents feeling that by sleeping in you missed to many opportunities. And in summer we have to soak up as much sunshine as possible. If my siblings and I were not up then our wake-up was an ice cold bath by a supersoaker. You get that a few times you remember to wake up or go to bed a little earlier.
Posted from Android 4.1
Please use plain text.
mommiekimmy

I must be very old fashioned! My kids age 7 and 4 go to bed at 7:30 on school nights and rise on their own usually between 6:30 and 7am. We rarely have nights for them later than 9pm. I believe sleep is key to learning, good behavior and growing healthy bodies and minds. 4 am isn't happening until they are grown and can make those decisions.
Posted from Samsung SM-N900A
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
melmccraney

I have 5 children. Ages 13, 12, 11, 4 and 3. My older 2 are not allowed to stay up past midnight on weekends unless it is a special occasion like a church all night function or we are at Relay for Life walking all night and raising money. Besides that on weekdays the older 3 have a bed time at 9:30pm. They can lay in bed and read a book till 10 if they can't sleep. My younger 2 are in bed by 7:30-8 every night including weekends. They are wore out and tired by then from the days activities that they tell me they want to go to bed any how. Every parent is different on how they raise their children. And only you can make the right decision on your own. Have a blessed day!
Posted from Generic Android
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 1,115 members 179,817 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: