Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39

Amnio?

Hi--I literally turned 39 just before getting prego...........all my doctor talks about is 'advanced gestational age' and blah blah blah. I have anxiety ANYWAY.........and being prego w/ my first child makes me have it even more, so hearing her constantly spout how old I am is REALLY getting on my nerves.........

Anyway.........more to the point.............I am going to do all the testing for birth defects and such, but I think just the blood tests. Supposedly they are 99% accurate while the amnio is 100%.  HOWEVER, I've been reading about the risk of "the M word" with the amnio............and for me, I'm thinking it's just not worth it, just to have 1% more "certainty." 

That being said, due to age, I've read the numbers are all skewed anyway, and they give you a 1/20 chance if you're 39 (according to some ladies I work with who were "advanced maternal age"--older than 35, gasp!--when they had babies), and their babies are completely fine.  They said they really skew the numbers and give alot of false positives in those blood tests, just because of age, before even taking them it's something like 1/50?  Then it gets skewed more from there........

My point is...............I think the anxiety it's causing is worse than knowing that definitive extra 1% by doing the amnio, at least that's how I think so far............I have a few more weeks to decide, but I'm losing sleep over this decision.............and feel like maybe my doctor and alot of them, is/are unneccessarily pushing the amnio on me JUST BECAUSE I'm over 35. We haven't even done the dang blood tests yet!!!! I mean, if those come out okay, she better not push that amnio on me, and even if they come out 'possibly a risk,' I'm still thinking I won't do the amnio. I've read it pushes your risk for 'the M word' right back up to 5%. :smileysad:  

Just wondering what any other "advanced gestational age" moms out there are thinking as well..................

Blessings to all!!! :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
orexismmii

Re: Amnio?

"advanced gestational age" huh? lol Too funny! I had my son less than a month after I turned 40 and he is perfectly healthy. I'm pregnant again at 41 and I worry a lot too. This may sound silly, but what made me feel better is that Gwen Stefani is 44(!) and just had a healthy baby. I'm betting nothing we can tell you here will make you feel completely worry-free, but hopefully you take the blood tests and everything comes out negative so you don't have to go on to the amnio. In any case, best of luck to you. I'm sure it will all work out!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39

Wow! Thank you SO much!  Your response actually DID make me feel better!!  I know it is just me listening to all the 'hype' (not that things CAN'T go wrong, but still, I feel like my doc and all that I read on the internet is so negative and too focused on it!). 

So did you have an amnio w/ your first, if you don't mind me asking? You can tell me it's none of my business and I won't take offense. :smileyhappy:  I have already told one friend that while I appreciate her advice, I would rather she just let me enjoy my pregnancy,so I know what it's like to have someone asking a personal question  you may not want to answer, especially someone in an online forum!!

Yeah, I've been thinking too of alot of women in their 40s who have been just fine and their babies have been just fine as well.  I mean, my husband and I were thinking that it must have been easier to have babies 50 years ago because they didn't have all this 'knowledge' (which sometims I think is too much).

I mean heck, my grandmother had all three of her children after age 41, and that was in the 1940s!  And our parents probably smoked and drank when they were pregnant with us, and ate tuna out of a can, and had coffee and wine, etc.  I mean who knows...........

I just am so tired of the worry already........I want to ENJOY my pregnancy!!!

Best of luck to you and thanks for the encouraging words.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
orexismmii

Yeah, don't get too wrapped up in what's on the internet. Just focus on you and your baby and do what feels good for you! 

I didn't have an amnio the first time. I felt like it wouldn't change anything either way, so I chose to just believe everything was going to go the way it was supposed to. BUT, because I'm over 40 this time, I will consider having it (still not sure) if the blood tests come back positive. I go in on Tuesday and I'm just hoping it will be an easy decision and they come back negative! :smileywink: I may end up having it because I'm older and a little more of a worrier (weird how every pregnancy affects you differently that way), but I'm just as nervous about having the amnio done than the results it will yield. 

It's funny you talking about the difference between what women used to do and how much healthier we are now. My grandpa was rushing my grandma to the hospital to have child #5 and she refused to get out of the car until her beer was empty! ROFL! But then again, that's why the baby survival rate is so much higher these days! 

Telling someone not to worry is easy. But I know just making yourself stop isn't so much. Try to keep your mind occupied and focus on the little miracle inside you. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
conmed2

Not getting amino either. I am 38. The maternity 21 test is good enough for me. Due to get tested in 2 weeks.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39

I am getting the maternity 21 too.  I saw her last week and cried and cried from all the fear she has put in me as to what COULD go wrong.  I'm at 11 weeks now so the maternity 21 I'm going to get tomorrow and do all the blood stuff (I'm already so tired of giving blood--it's not alot of fun!!).

She STILL is pushing me to meet with a genetic counselor so I "fully understand."  She explained to me that the Maternity 21 is a SCREENING, but the amnio is a definite DIAGNOSIS.  

I told her I'm not going to "get rid" of my baby anyway just cause something COULD be wrong, so I still dont' see the point of the amnio.........

Either way........I still haven't really made up my mind yet other than I'm thinking MOST likely I'm not.........but my husband said IF the blood screenings (Mat 21) come out negative (which, I've heard most likely they WILL, because they SKEW them in an insane way if you're God forbid OVER 35), he would like me to do it if I can muster up the strength, just so we can be prepared for a baby with 'special needs' if that's the case.............. :smileysad:

I still don't want to do it, but I decided I will talk to the genetic counselor, with my husband present, and go from there. 

The best I can hope is that everything will be fine on the Mat21 screening, and therefore the amnio won't be needed anyway.............. (or won't be pushed on me by my doc, which is how I feel now.........that she is pushing it on me.......).

Anyway.........I just want to get past this point of 'anxiety' and ENJOY my pregnancy without all the worry...........

Best of luck to all...............................I'm going to be losing sleep with anxiety over the next few weeks...... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39

ETA:  sorry, meant "if the blood tests come out POSITIVE (which would be negative news!)........"  in my post above....................then I MAY consider the amnio, just for my husband, but it will take ALOT for me to do it.............I would just CONSIDER it at that point..........

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 1,365 members 164,179 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: