New Contributor
dricam305

Re: Amnio?

I am 45 and 16 weeks pregnant. I had the Nipt or Harmony test done which came back negative. It is supposed to be 99% percent accurate. I have been dealing with a lot of pain and discomfort due to fibroids. I am thinking about not having the amnio for fear of miscarriage. Can someone tell me what they think?
Posted from Samsung GT-I9500
Occasional Contributor
southerngirl39

I am 39, first baby. Our nuchal translucency ultrasound as well as our Maternity 21 results both came back fine, so we are not doing amnio.  

I had already decided, however, that I was not going to do it anyway, even if they came back positive. It would not have made any difference, as I would not terminate pregnancy for something like that.

I did spend my entire first trimester worried, however, because of the way my doctor put the fear of God into me about everything that "could" go wrong (even though the chances are slim, and I have friends who had babies in their 20s who have chromosomal abnormalities, so you just never know, and I think the 'age' thing as a factor is more to protect them from lawsuits than anything else, honestly).

I struggled and struggled and worried and fretted over whether to get amnio (why I started this post), however, after much research and talking to the genetic counselor, and to friends who've had babies, after all that, I decided no matter what, I wouldn't do it as it was too invasive to the baby, and the risk of m/c, however small, was too much to handle for me.  It would not have made a difference anyway, as I said, as I would not terminate the pregnancy because of it.

This was my choice, however, and it's everyone's choice.  Good luck with this decision........I know first hand it's hard and agonizing.   Just trust your gut instinct. That's what I did, and chose not to. Does that mean we're 100% guaranteed nothing is wrong w/ the baby? Nope. But, I can't live w/ doing an amnio, and as I said, it wouldn't make a difference other than it may have prepared us for a special needs baby perhaps, but, I still am in the mindset, you get what you get and that's just how it is. That's MY mindset though and I understand it's not everyone's.  

Good luck with whatever you decide.

New Contributor
dricam305

Thank you for the response. I don't think it's worth the risk so we decided against it.

Good luck to you as well.
Posted from Samsung GT-I9500
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 638 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: