Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

New BCP recommendation by GYN

I got the Mirena IUD put in when my daughter was 6 weeks old,  I had never really quit bleeding postpartum, so then the mirena added ANOTHER 8 months old constant bleeding, spotting, on top of that. Then I had chronic YI's on it, and had finally had enough. Called, made my removal appointment last week, and had it out yesterday.

I still breastfeed Layla, and plan to for another 3 months at the very least , if she wants to go longer, i may. But my main goal was a year. So my options for birth control pretty much consisted of depo (no thank you..ever), nexplanon (no thanks..), Mirena, or the mini pill. The mini pill isnt really as effective as a combination BCP, so we didnt think that was a good option for me, especially when i have some memory issues stemming from a concussion i recieved a few years ago. So having to take something at the EXACT same time everyday.. no. I'd be pregnant again in a month. lol.   So, she then said there was a new option, Lo Estrin Fe 1mg/10mcg dose. She said it was a very small dose and was safe while breastfeeding, especially after your supply was well established. I am very much on the fence about taking this because I can not find a single article online that says its ok to take while breastfeeding and have never heard of a combination pill being safe. I am not sure if i am willing to take that chance with my daughter, you know?

Has anyone else been recommended this? What did you do?

I think we are just going to stick to condoms for protection.. but I found the many choices to be overwhelming lol. I miss a regular good ole BCP.

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: New BCP recommendation by GYN

Great topic and an important one.

Here is some information that you might find helpful:

http://www.parents.com/parenting/relationships/postpartum-birth-control/birth-control-while-breastfe...

I had my first child at 36 and new I would like another child soon after so we used condoms until we were ready for another child. It worked well for us. I think it worked for us because we knew that we were ok with the possibility of getting pregnant.

When we decided that our family was complete, my husband had a vasectomy. Works out great for both of us. My sister was in the same situation. Her husband went to have a vasectomy and they ended up not being able to go it in the office because of the location of parts. The doctor said he would have to undergo actual surgery to have the vasectomy. This mad my brother in law uncomfortable so my sister went and had an IUD.

The reason I am telling you this is because my sister is so happy that she ended up with an IUD vs her husband having the vasectomy. She only has to deal with it every five years and she has no period. I find myself wishing I had done the same thing every time mother nature arrives:smileyhappy: If I remember correctly, it's a very low dose as well. It may be an option if you plan on waiting a few years before having another child.

Do your research. you'll figure out what is best for you and your family:smileyhappy:

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

[ Edited ]

I had the Mirena IUD for about 8 months and had it removed friday, and now have to go back and get cultured because my body still wont get rid of the infections i had. :smileysad: Definitely was caused by the IUD's though. I couldnt have paraguard (the copper/no hormone ) IUD due to my medical history, Dr. M said no to it.

I personally would rather be on a regular bcp like lo lo estrin fe.. like she perscribed, but dang i am so gunshy of anything now. DH would NEVER get a vas.. I know better than to even ask that one. lol.  Dr. M refuses to do a tube tie until you are 28, or you have two children.

They told me today that they are worried I was developing PID, which we all know can affect fertility.. while I dont want anymore (definitely not now, or anytime soon, but maybe in the future. MAYBE) I sure dont want the option to be taken from me either. you know? All this trouble because I thought an IUD would be a great thing for me. :smileysad: the worst decision ive ever made when it comes to birth control

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
tamaracampbell79

I used the iud for five years n had no problem. I removed it after the five years. N tried the patch. But couldn't keep up with it. I am now pregnant, but this is my last as am going to be 35 in June n I am definitely going back to iud. I introduced it to my sister in law n she has been using it going 2 years now with no problems. So that's the route for me
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 2,055 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: