Occasional Contributor
pharmerlinda

Weakness in my legs

Hi I am 30 weeks pregnant with  my first baby. For the past month or so I have been feeling weakness in both of my legs, and my balance is not so great anymore. These symptoms came on suddenly one day, so I don't think it's from gradual weight gain. I am wondering if I can have a compressed motor nerve in my spine. Has anyone else experienced weakness in their legs?  I heard from a friend about a pregnant woman who actually became paralyzed and unable to walk which lasted for 1 month after giving birth. My OB has not heard of anyone else with my symptoms. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RebCMac

Re: Weakness in my legs

I know it's been a few weeks since you posted this, but could it possibly be a sciatic nerve problem?  I know when it gets compressed (which is very common in pregnancy) it can cause a sharp pain in your bottom and into your legs; but it can also cause numbness.  I've never heard of anyone becoming paralyzed during pregnancy though... I would expect that was from some other underlying problem that was just compounded by the pregnancy.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
pharmerlinda

Re: Weakness in my legs

Hi RebCMac

Thanks for your helpful comments. I am now 33 weeks pregnant, and the weakness in my legs is still persistant. However, I think it is related to my Braxton Hicks contractions. I have been getting BH constantly throughout the day and it seems to be contributing or possibly causing the weakness in my legs.  I don't have any back pain however, so I don't think I have sciatica. I have seen an MD who specializes in rehabilitation pain management of the spine, and he has not seen anyone else with my symptoms either. He recommended that I take it easy until I deliver the baby, then come back to see him if my symptoms persist after delivery. Thanks again for your concern.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 354 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: