New Contributor
brooke.monroe

Any tips?

I'm a first time parent and my husband and I are doing as much research as possible when it comes to pregnancy and birthing.Honestly though I wonder if this is going to give us practical knowledge of what to do when my daughter arrives. I hope that the overload of information is not adding to my anxiety and will actually prove to be useful when the time comes. I feel as though there is so much that I still don't know and how do I even know what I'm supposed to know. This is seriously nerve- racking. Does anyone have any suggestions? What exactly should I be learning right now and what information do I need to be a good mom. Thanks, Brooke

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

Re: Any tips?

Hi Brooke,

My daughter is now 16 months old and I definitely tried to get as much information as possible while I was pregnant. At the start of the pregnancy I signed up for a weekly pregnancy newsletter and over the next few months I also spent a lot of time and reading others' pregnancy questions and reading "mom blogs." The hospital where I delivered held free classes on topics like labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and infant care, so I took all the classes offered. After I delivered my daughter, the nurses at the hospital were also REALLY helpful. The discharge nurse even gave me a list of questions and asked if there were any I'd like her to run through. So of course I checked off almost everything :smileyhappy:

For the most part, all of these things helped make me an informed mom-to-be. However, a few times I found myself on information overload. During these moments I took a step back from all my researching and tried to focus on the present - spending quality time with my husband and friends before our new arrival.

Happy information seeking!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RebCMac

I agree.  Your best bets if you're worried about what to do after the baby gets here is to look into parenting classes at your local hospital (or one at a town nearby if you live in a smaller town).  Also, most hospitals (especially with your first) will go over everything you "need to know" before you go home.  The truth is: you won't know EVERYTHING and will drive yourself crazy if you try to.  Every baby is different and even with my 2nd, I felt like I was starting over on some stuff.  There will always be friends, family, and baby boards if you have questions later on though.

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I agree with the previous posters above.  I read several books and thought I was ready but there were so many random things that came up that I didn't know!  I say try to relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and know that your Mommy instinct will kick in after baby is born and you will do just fine.  There are so many things we just can't plan for :smileyhappy:  Honestly, I also came to these message boards A TON during both of my pregnancies and for many years after my children were born.  As much as the official books helped, I got more help from asking other Moms who had been in my shoes.  They were a great support to me and I'm still close with several of them even now (10+ years later!).

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brooke.monroe

Thanks for the feedback you guys. I will look into the hospital offered classes and just try to calm myself on trying to know everything. I guesss bringing another person into this world is just so nerve racking you want to get everything right. After reading alot of the forums on the Community board I have realized that I have to relax a bit. I can't overwhelm myslef and become too anxious especially since I'm still cooking this kid and I don't want her to calm out unnerved. I'm going to keep informed by other moms and their experiences but also give myself the benefit of doubt to let my Mommy Instincts kick in. Thanks so much for your responses, it is deeply appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

2014 Parents Cover Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online:5 members 104 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: