Occasional Contributor
urias.erica

Scheduled C section

I am having a scheduled c section on May 1. My due date is May 6. I struggled with this decision. I had a section with my first daughter 10 and half years ago but it was because she was breech. I had the choice to do a vbac of another section, but I am worried about placenta eruption and other complications. I feel like I haven't experienced labor and probably won't ever get to but why risk things, right? Just kinda voicing my concerns. Thanks
Posted from Apple iPhone
Community Manager
ModChristine

Re: Scheduled C section

I understand. I had an emergency c-section with my 1st pregnancy so I went ahead with a scheduled c-section with my 2nd. Turns out my second was breech and sunny side up anyway.
~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Posted from Apple iPad
mmgurdal

I had a similar situation. Ultimately, my goal was to have a healthy baby. There was no reason other than my desire to get a medal or a badge from other mothers. My doctor, also a mother, advised me of all of the potential complications related to my going the vbac route. And while she was willing, my family -- I -- decided the outcome was more meaningful than the journey, since the outcome is only the beginning of the real journey.
Posted from Apple iPhone
dusty.mercier

I had an emergency C-section with my first baby. Since then I have had three successful VBACs. However, this was really important to me, and my doctor was willing to induce two of the three VBACs. I know several people who have had multiple C-sections without complications. If you want to have the experience of a vaginal delivery, it's not too late, but if what is most important is that you end up with a happy, healthy baby, that can happen either way. Not all doctors will do vaginal deliveries after Cesaereans, especially if your labor has to be induced or there are any additional complications or considerations. Whatever your decision, don't regret it. Nothing ever goes quite like we think, and while my first delivery was an emergency, none of mine went like I thought, and none were the same.

Occasional Contributor
urias.erica

Thank you all. I did discuss with my doctors and they do do vbac but do not induce and my only real reason I think for wanting to vbac was to experience labor and feel I don't know like that's how it's suppose to be. So I guess I'm doing the right thing. And on the plus side my husband will get to do kangaroo care first and that makes him extra excited too! Thank you ladies for your experiences.
Posted from Apple iPhone
shannon70731

I had a breech baby vaginally as she was frank breech and I had a skilled OB. Having labour start naturally on its own is the way women were made to have babies. The hormones that are produced during labour help to prepare the baby's lungs for birth and to make the transition to the outside world. With scheduled csections babies do not receive these hormones. This is why respiratory probs like asthma, are more prevalent in CSection babies (there are stats on this). Also, the complications you worry about with vbac are valid but extremely rare, complications with repeated csections (to mom) are higher (stats on this too).
Just investigate to empower yourself with knowledge. Csections are a fabulous tool in the right situations, when medically necessary, but babies and moms are healthiest when left naturally. (This doesn't mean you have to go without pain relief). For personalized help consider hiring a doula. And in the many months following the birth of your baby there will be plenty of time for your husband to do kangaroo care when you're sleeping, eating, bathing, etc. All the best to you!
Posted from Apple iPhone
karentorreszay

I had a c-section for my first child because she was breech.  It was so painful and the recovery was terrible so for my second (18 mths apart) I shopped around for a doctor that would allow me to attempt a vaginal delivery and it was the best thing I ever did.  I had 2 more kids, both normal deliveries with no problems whatsoever.  The risks can be managed and you have to consider there are risks for c-section as well, it is major surgery after all.

Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 668 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: