brenna113

Re: Has anyone delivered 'Natural' Med Free?

Hi, good luck no matter what you choose, there isn't a right or wrong way, just what's right for you. I had both my girls naturally without any pain medication. Both were in the hospital because I am Type1 diabetic so I was considered high risk. My fist daughter was even induced because of my diabetes. Even with the pitocin it was bearable. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it hurts. But like it was said in another post. Childbirth is what our bodies are made to do. And once you're to the pushing stage the pain isn't so bad. I only took the normal childbirth prep class that was offered in the hospital. But I am pretty well read on the topic of childbirth, as far as biology is concerned. My advise if you choose to go natural is just to trust your body and trust in your strength. Talk, talk, talk to your OB about what you want to make sure they're on board, and so they can calm any nerves you may be having. It's painful but beautiful, and it doesn't last forever. My girls were both full term 7lbs 21inches and 8.01lbs and 20.75 inches. Also, I don't know if this is too much information, but I had an episiotomy with my first, tore with my second and I didn't feel a thing. If the topic presents itself I suggest going with the episiotomy. It healed much quicker and was a less painful recovery. Which I found funny because a lot of the things I read on the topic suggested that a natural tear would heal better. But either way, both times I was up and walking around the delivery room a matter of minutes after the doctors and nurses finished cleaning up. Took a shower within the hour after too. Being mobile afterward was really nice. It was funny to see the nurses faces too! Every one would come rushing to me saying no! Don't walk! Then another nurse or I would say I went natural and then everyone would relax. I might have a strange sense of humor, but it made me giggle. Good luck to you and Congratulations!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
slink00

Honestly it depends on how you manage pain. I asked for but never got an epidural. Both my kids were induced so pitocin contractions are worse from what I hear. The point right before your pushing urge kicks in is the worst. If you can get past that the rest is a breeze. Once you start working with the contraction instead of against it everything starts feeling better. You will feel like you just had the hardest workout of your life but when you see your baby's face all of the exhaustion goes away. Of course my youngest is 4 1/2 so I have a sunny view on things.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
jtatumharris1

I had my first all natural. I know I'm probably the exception but I'd rather give birth than go to the dentist any day! I didn't know I was in labor. My husband urged me to go to the hospital and get checked. When we got there it was time to push and there was no time for any drugs. We were both in shock. It was quick and HARD WORK! People told me pushing would be hard, but I had no idea what to expect. There was burning for a few minutes when his head was being born. Other than that, the pain was by no means unbearable. The worst for me was after he was born (8lbs 3 oz). My uterus was not acting properly and I was bleeding a lot. The nurses had to keep massaging my abdomen for hours after birth. That was rough. I thank God for such a great birth experience. While pregnant I bought Birth 101 online and read Supernatural Childbirth. Due to scheduling issues we were unable to attend any birthing classes. To echo what many have already said, you have to listen to your body and trust your instincts at the end of the day. If you think you can do this without drugs, then you probably can!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
reignbeau79

I had a c-section with my son and an unplanned natural delivery with my daughter. i will say the natural delivery was much more easier. My body knew what to do and I had a quicker recovery time. I would do natural again. I think the contractions were more severe than the actual labor itself...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tarynasaurus

I'm 19, I was 18 at the time of giving birth to my first child.
I had a home birth, water birth, al natural. I didn't feel the want nor need for any drugs/gas/medication. Water is a natural pain relief, whether its a shower or a bath.
I highly, highly recommend water births.
This baby will be born at home too, in water.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
smariesmith1

I, too, wanted a natural med-free delivery. I had seen The Business of Being Born and read all the reasons why you're better off without meds, and I was determined to go med-free. I even hired a doula to coach me through the process and support me with the natural childbirth. I'll go into the details in a minute, but the short story is that I wound up getting an epidural, and I have no regrets. It was absolutely the right decision for me!

The longer version: I labored for most of a day before getting to the point that I felt it was time to call in the doula. By the time she arrived at my house, I was having contractions every 5-10 minutes, and they were about a minute each. They were painful, but manageable. I labored at my house with the help of my husband and doula for several more hours, until my contractions were about every 4 minutes, 60-90 seconds long, and about an 8 (out of 10) on the pain scale. The doula was actually the one who made the call that we should go to the hospital. Based on my contractions, she figured I would be 4 or 5 cm dilated. When the nurse checked me at the hospital however, I was only 1.5 cm. Normally they would send a person home with only this amount of dilation, but my contractions were painful enough and close enough together that they decided to admit me.

Within the first hour of arriving at the hospital, my contractions started coming every 1-5 minutes (irregular) and my pain level jumped up to a 10. My contractions were literally the most painful thing I had ever felt or imagined, and I started having panic attacks because I couldn't see how I was going to get through them. I labored like this, still med-free, for another 5 hours, at which point I was told I had only dilated to 3 cm. This was when I realized I couldn't do it on my own. If I had been 8 cm, I might have been able to hang on, but knowing that in a 5 hour span of the worst pain I had ever experienced I had only dilated an additional 1.5 cm was too much for me. I ordered the epidural and waited for sweet relief.

One of the reasons I had wanted to avoid having an epidural was that it can slow down a person's labor and potentially lead to needing pitocin to help speed things up. However in my case, the epidural dramatically sped my labor up. About 3-4 hours after receiving the epidural, I was 8 cm dilated, and 2 hours after that I was holding my beautiful baby in my arms. I think the pain of my contractions was just so intense, that my body couldn't do what it needed to do. With the pain gone, my body was able to relax and get on with things, and my labor and delivery went very smoothly from that point.

What I learned from my experience is that everybody is different. For many, possibly even most women, a natural med-free delivery is the way to go, but this isn't true for everyone. It certainly wasn't true for me. So my advice would be to learn as much as you can about having a med-free delivery, and have a doula or midwife to help you through the process. But make sure that your support team will STILL support you if, in the moment, you change your mind and decide to go ahead and get medicinal help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
same2727

I had an epidural with all 3 of my boys and the experience seemed to get worse each time. With my 1st my heart rate and blood pressure dropped drasticly along with the babies after the epidural. I was given so much of the epidural i couldnt feel a thing not even the urge to push like your supposed to. With my second I had horrible back pain after the epidural that took about a month to ease and to this day still have back pain. When I went into labor with my 3rd I was already 4 1/2 cm and 80% thined out. My contractions were very mild and i felt i was ok and didnt need anything. I suffer from anxiety so its hard to stay calm sometimes, the nurses kept urging me to get the epidural before the contractions started getting bad, and that fed my anxiety. I got the epidural when i didnt need it. I had horrible back pain from it agian and come to find out I had  pulled muscles in back along with a horrific bruise on my back. I could have definately had my 3rd without medicine i do believe, after the epidural my son was born less than 45 minutes later. My labor progressed very quickly. I am currently pregnant with my 4th baby and I fully plan to go all natural as long as everything goes ok and there are no emergency procedures needed. Whatever any woman chooses to do is just fine every person feels differently and has different experiences. Do what feels right for you. One persons good experience or bad experience isnt the same as the next persons. Good Luck and God Bless!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 5 members 1,783 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: