Regular Contributor
cassie186

Re: Has anyone delivered 'Natural' Med Free?

I've done both a medicated birth and a non medicated birth. For my first I wanted a natural delivery but wasn't prepared for it. For my second I went the hypnobabies route. It was amazing, pain free and beautiful. My baby was 8'14oz and born quickly with no stress at all!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
speakeasy25

I've delivered four babies--one emergency C-section, one natural, and two epidural.  The very most important thing is that you and your baby(ies) end up healthy and safe.  However that happens is absolutely fine.  Ignore--vigorously ignore--ANYONE who tells you what you "should" do.  You do what you need to do--there is no shame in any choice.  No one is giving out any medals for suffering during labor--so, you choose and if you change your mind midway, fine.  Anyone who is not at that moment pushing a human out of their body gets a say.  Do whatever you need to.  And, just for reference, I absolutely hated my natural delivery--I felt abandoned and alone and in terrible pain while everyone else decided it was the right thing to do.  I would never have done it again--even though I had the classes and a midwife and a supportive partner and a birth plan.  So, don't let all the mommies getting rhapsodic about the wonder of natural delivery keep you from making a choice which serves your best interests.  Especially the ones doing the "your body was designed to do this" nonsense. 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
hellodollydolly

Naturaly delivery is hard but I would not have it any other way.  I have had eight healthy, safe, natural home births and I have never regretted it.  They are truly beautiful!  First and foremost I would say it's a mental thing above all.  If you are determined to do it you will.  It helps to have a good coach or dula along with your partner.  Not everyone is a candidate for a home birth so to go that route you would need to have a pretty low risk pregnacy.  It is totally safe to give birth without meds.  I know they say that the meds don't hurt the baby, but I'm not buying it.  The meds in no way help the baby.  I am of a firm belief that it is mind over matter.  Take some sort of childbirth class to help you learn how to cope.  One of the best things I learned from my childbirth class is this. You and your partner hold a piece of ice in your hand and don't let go until you seriously can't hold it anymore.  While holding it, focus on relaxing and breathing through the pain of the ice cube in your hand.  You'd be surprised how long you can really hold it.  It's a great excercise to practice throughout pregnacy to help prepare your technique.  I say more power to you and remember mind over matter!  Handling natural labor is all in your mind and in your relaxation  technique.   

Please use plain text.
kdoe546

I had an epidural with my first, partially to help lower my blood pressure, but mainly for pain. I got it after they broke my water at 7 cm and the pain level greatly increased with each contraction. I asked for it to not be so strong I could not feel anything, just enough to take the edge off.

With my second my water broke at home. I was around 4 cm dilated. I was 5 and 100% when we reached the hospital and not even 90 minutes later my daughter was born, naturally. I was not prepared in anyway for a natural birth so it was incredibly emotional for me. I will say that a woman's body knows what it's doing and you will get through it and the pain is short lived compared to the miracle it produces. I can say I definitely felt better after this birth than with my first when I had an epidural. If you want to go natural just make sure you prepare beforehand as much as you can. Unfortunately nothing can really prepare you for the actual pain other than going through it, but you can mentally prepare. I will also say that even being forced to experience natural labor has not deterred me from saying I want a 3rd child.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
pchanel2008

I have done it 3 times !! My advise is stay calm walk a lot from now until your delivery on the D day try to sleep eat healthy food that gives you energy( oatmeal with raisins and milk is my favorite) keep drinking lots of water and some prune juice to help you before and after delivery. Stay home as long as you can !! Keep things peaceful, make sure to write your delivery plan, have all you need pack and in the car natural delivery is quicker all delivery is painful to some extreme, but you can do it, if you can control and deal with pain in a harmonious way ! Remember your body never been thru this but some how knows what to do!! Have faith on yourself make sure your partner help and understand you wishes and if you change you mind and decide to get an epidural make sure is on time, because if you are 8 or more dilated it really doesn't do you any good at this time even with an epidural at 5 you will feel pain your bones are starting to separate to give your baby space to pass the birth canal. The reason i gave birth natural is because pain killers don't work on me i have a huge tolerance to pain, and i wanted my child and his birth to be as healthy as i could possible be !! You can do it just don't think is going to be scary is magical is the most amazing thing you will ever do !!
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Orrie-o

I actually was planning natural, the day I went in, I got in the tub and I started to feel contractions! I wanted drugs I asked and so they checked how many cm I was, turned out I was too late and had to deliver. So I went natural like hoping and it actually wasn't bad! My contractions at one point went off the chart but I still made it all happen! You only feel the side pains, as long as you do what your body says it isn't all that bad! :smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mrsmelby2007

I was so nervous about going all natural. I didn't think that I would be able to handle the pain, but was gonna give it a try. Something about a giant needle going into my back just didn't seem appealing to me. Lol. I am so glad that I did a natural birth. I was able to feel whether my pushing was effective and was able to move around after delivery.  I definitely plan on doing a natural birth again with our second child. 

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 438 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: