Occasional Contributor
welbyway76

Re: Has anyone delivered 'Natural' Med Free?

A lot of good advice here, thank you ladies! I will also suggest "The Business of Being Born" and anything Ina May Gaskin (books and a new doc on her and The Farm). My latest obsession is watching natural water birth videos on YouTube. Amazing. I tear up at every birth.
Posted from Apple iPhone
bellavancini

My first born I had an epidural and was in labor for 18 hours. My water broke and I was only 1 cm dilated so by the time I had the epidural I had yet to really feel a contraction. I appreciated the epidural because I did not think I could handle the pain.
My second child, I wanted the epidural but I wanted to wait as long as I could handle before I got one. I was lucky enough to have a doula with me for this delivery. I went to the hospital at 7:30 am and I was 4 cm. my contractions were strong and lasting about 1 minute. I was lucky enough to have a doula for this delivery. By the time there was a delivery room available it was almost 11:30 am and my contractions were so strong and painful. I went on all fours on the bed which helped with the pain. When I could finally get checked I was 6 cm. I was asked if I wanted an epidural and could not decide because I did not think I could sit through the contractions. I couldn't answer so the nurse offered to come back. When the nurse and the doctor came back 20 minutes later I was 9 cm and within minutes they broke my water and I was 10cm and had to start pushing. I was scared but I had no choice. I only pushed for 10 minutes. I had only been in the delivery room for 1 hour and my baby was born. He was 9 lbs 7 oz. and I only had 4 stitches. Afterwords, I felt amazing. My body felt good and it was nice that I could move around on my own. Now that I have done it both ways, if I had to do it again I would do it natural again.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Regular Visitor
asuzan78

My birth plan was the wait and see method.  I wanted to do it naturally, but was more concerned about back pain since I have scoliosis and sciatic problems throughout pregnancy.  I had to be induced due to preeclampsia.  Personally, the contractions were uncomfortable, but do-able (I've had worse menstrual cramps lol), but I got a band of lower back pain that was I couldn't get relief from.  I had 1 dose of IV pain meds that wore off in 1/2 hr.  I was starting to debate on an epidural, they checked me, I was at 9, and moments later had th urge to push.  Checked again and was at ready to go!  Not even 10 minutes later I had a healthy baby girl.  My nurse was awesome at getting me to relax and concentrate on pushing and it was an awesome, weird experience.  If I have another baby, my plan would be the same.  

kara391

We birthed at home without drugs, it was a really great experience. What helped me so much was hypno birthing classes. A couple of sessions with a professional and listening to a cd at night and one day I woke up and was totally calm, knowing my body knew exactly what to do. And practicing visualizing when having contractions, super helpful. At the end of the day labor hurts, but it's survivable and amazing. An if you use drugs, ok too! Do what feels good to you:smileyhappy:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Occasional Visitor
mlbears

Personally, I wouldn't have been so graphic when explaining your birth experience. No point in scaring the poor woman. It's because of articles and comments similar to this one that I read while pregnant with my first that scared me half to death and had me super anxious about the birth of my first baby.
I've had 4 babies - all in a hospital and all med free. It's definitely the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. It makes you dig down and find strength that you never knew you had - but after all is said and done it gives you the greatest sense of self worth you've ever felt.
Just rememberr that everyone's birth experience is different and no matter what your's is like (whether you end up using an epidural, or having a c-section or doing it completely natural) it doesn't matter in the end. Be proud and in awe of what your body can do...after all, no matter how your baby ends up coming into this world, I think it's pretty amazing just knowing that you grew and held your baby safe until he/she was ready to meet you.
sunflwr0037

Before having my son a little over 2 years ago, I always had the thought "give me as many drugs as possible!"  I didn't want to feel anything!  I have a very low tolerance for pain.  My body had a different plan apparently.  My labor was relatively "easy" - it was still labor, but nearly as bad as I thought.  My water started leaking at 2:30am, contractions started around 3:30am, and my husband and I didn't get to the hospital until a little after 10am.  By the time I was admitted and in the L&D room, I was 5 centimeters and dealing with the pain pretty well.  I started thinking that I may want to IV pain meds, but with the encouragement of my husband and the nurse, I decided to wait.  The next thing I knew, I was 8cm and progressing quickly... and it was too late for IV pain meds.  I didn't want to get an epidual at this point, so I just went into my own little "happy place" whenever a contraction came.  The toughtest part of the entire experience was the 3 hours of pushing... that that incredibly hard and exhausting.  In all honesty, for someone who always thought I wanted medication and having a low tolerance for pain, I did surprisingly well during labor.  You just have to let you body do what God intended for it to do, and remember that it WILL be own soon!  I'm pregnant with my second right now and am hoping for another medication-free birth, privded it goes as smoothly as before!

Hvflores3

I wanted a whole natural birth. I went with a midwife and had the baby in a birth center which was conveniently located inside the hospital. I mentally prepared myself for the worst. I had a doula with me in my room and she was heaven sent. She helped me stay sane. I was in labor for almost 2 days. Once my water broke that's when the pain was unbearable but only lasted for 2 hours and I was ready to push. The pushing processes lasted 7 min. It was tough and it hurt but my mental preparation and doula support help tremendously. I wouldn't change it if I had to do it again. I love that after labor there was no more pain and I could eat regularly. The holistic birth center was def the way for me. The full home environment and no machines on me was my opinion the best choice for me. :smileyhappy: good luck!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 741 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: