New Contributor
lcolj

any advice

hi mommys so im wondering if any of u breastfeed while pregnant ? i am newly prego n still nursing my 1 1/2 yr old,im hearin ppl say its not good & others sayin its jus fine!! super confusing n leaves me alil worriedsome!!???
Posted from LG MS770
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
contact95161

Re: any advice

Yes, women can safely nurse an older baby during a healthy preganacy. If you are experiencing any complications in this pregnacy, please check with your health care provider about your particular situation.

Kelly Mom has written an excellent article about this topic: http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-preg/01safety/

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
davishogs

When I was pregnant with my second, my first was only 9 months old. My doctor said at the beginning of my first appointment I would need to stop nursing my oldest, but then came in right before I left and said it was perfectly fine. Hope that helps. I had no issues and nursed the first three months of my second pregnancy.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
palominoqueen08

I'm 16 weeks pregnant and currently nursing my 14 month old. Ask your OB about it but if you had a healthy pregnacny with your first (no history of complications) and everything looks good with this one as well there is no reason you can't continue to nurse your older child. I do plan on weaning before the new baby arrives but I've heard of women that do tandum nursing. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
chavezerin1

I asked my daughter's pediatrician when I was pregnant if it was ok to breast feed while trying to get pregnant because I had head/read it wasn't.  (I knew at the time I would still be nursing when trying to get pregnant the 2nd time)  Her doctor said it is perfectly fine!  Think about what women did 100's of years ago when they used to breast feed their children for a few years, they did it while they were pregnant!   

Please use plain text.
lhelmingsmiles

I am 36 weeks pregnant and still am nursing my 18 month old son! I was all concerned about needing to wean him vs letting him self-wean, but I decided to let what was going to happen, happen without worrying about it! I had never considered tandem nursing before, but now will probably be doing it and am somewhat excited about it all really. Granted there have been times when I experienced sensitivity, and my son is comfort nursing really than getting much from me nutritionally speaking. I also had an easy 1st pregnancy & have been healthy during this pregnancy as well. My advice: do what feels best for you and don't concern yourself with what you think others might say- my MIL asked me when I would stop nursing the day I told her I was pregnant like I needed to stop ASAP- but I consider myself blessed to be able to still nurse even now! :smileyhappy: Congrats to you and your family!
Posted from Samsung SCH-i110
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 501 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: