New Contributor
britany1767

Best time to take parenting/child birth classes? advice?

Hello my name is Britany! I am expecting my very first baby in june and I have to say I am a little terrified. Ive never really been around children before since I was an only child and never babysat. Ive never even held a baby. I have no idea what Ive gotten myself into lol. When is the best time to start taking parenting/child birth classes? (im six weeks now) and where would I find them? Also any advice from second time moms? Anything you wish you would have known your first time around?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ashendricks80

Re: Best time to take parenting/child birth classes? advice?

[ Edited ]

Hi! I'm Angie. First of all, congratulations!  I am pregnant with my second child right now.  When I was pregnant with my first, I felt the exact same way you felt.  I was terrified because I didn't know what I was doing.  I never changed a diaper before or babysat a baby, but believe me it will come over time, just prepare yourself!  Look up those classes online in your area, I am sure there is something, just call them and make sure you find out if they take your insurance.  Secondly, take everything one day at a time, you have a long way to go before you bring baby home, so give yourself a break!  Thirdly, rub lotion on your tummy EVERYDAY, otherwise you will get a lot of stretchmarks but if you use lotion everyday, that won't happen.  Congrats again!  Enjoy your pregnancy!  I'm 6 weeks also :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
KaitlinFinn

Re: Best time to take parenting/child birth classes? advice?

Hi Britany! What an exciting and overwhelming time! In my experience the best time frame is around 32 weeks- 35 weeks. This way it's still fresh in your memory. If your hospital has a once a week for a few weeks program, those are great because you can meet other moms around your due date. A hospital tour is also a biggie that I loved doing- usually included in a hospital birth class. I just loved going through and knowing what to expect (sort of) ahead of time.

It is a little ways away, but my biggest advice for a hospital bag is sample soap.shampoo.condition (especially fancy kind to pamper yourself after you give birth). ALSO fill your bag with the leftover diapers/soaps in the baby basket at the hospital before you leave. :smileyvery-happy: Enjoy this time, even though it sucks. I hope you are doing well! xo kaitlin

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 1,262 members 135,167 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: