Occasional Contributor
kimberlienatalieleslie

Anyone else doing a waterbirth?

I was very excited when I found out that my OBGYN offered not only Midwives and Doulas but also a waterbirth option.  I had my first two children with the help of an epidural...this was in my twenties.  So when I had my third child in 2011, I challenged myself to go without pain medication and although it was an experience to say the least, I wouldnt do it any other way going forward.  I have heard that water birth is alot more soothing so I am super excited this time around where as two years ago I was a nervous wreck. Anyone else going this route?

Due June 10th, 2014 with a baby girl!!! 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ChicaGirl333

Re: Anyone else doing a waterbirth?

I was so glad to see your post!  I am due June 20th but new to this group.  I am delivering in Mexico City due to my husband's job (diplomat) locating us here.  We recently did a more in depth hospital tour and I was horrified to find out the rate of cesarean was 80-90%, that I would have to give birth in an operating room, and that the baby would have to stay in the nursery immediately after birth for 6 hours and then would only be brought to me for feedings every 3 hours.  I totally freaked out and was so mad at myself for having never asked detailed questions to the hospital.  Here I am 21 weeks pregnant and having to find a new hospital and doctor.  I thought a privately paid hospital meant I got exactly what I wanted.  Nope.  BTW, this hospital is supposed to be the best in Mexico City.

So, I just found a highly qualified doula and am going to a new hospital with a doctor that is termed "Humanized Birth" oriented.  The labor and delivery room comes fully equiped with a tub for a water birth but I may just end up using the tub for pain relief after reading that actual birth in a tub has some risks and considering I have never given birth before I am not equiped to avoid those risks.

Best of luck to you!  Do some research on having a doula.  The statistics on how much and in what ways they can help is amazing.  I was totally skeptical and into the doctor knows best theory before I did lots of reasearch.  I am now with a doctor that works with my doula and totally happy and confident I made a good choice.   

Chiica
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
kimberlienatalieleslie

Yaye...Im so excited that you found what you are looking for. I am using a dolls and the only reason I will need a doctor is if there are complications. My experience with my last birth was eye opening because I delivered naturally with the help of nurses and doctors. One of the nurses never did a natural birth in her entire career and she was very pushy and dismissive of my wishes. She constantly brought up epidural and pitocin even though I had a detailed birthing plan. I love my Douglas they have provided me with so much literature on breathing techniques and other ways to ride the labour wave. I am also am not delivering in water but only laboring in the tub....can't wait to share my story and hear about yours come June.
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
kimberlienatalieleslie

Im typing from my phone so dolls and Douglas..should be Doula..lol.
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
jasminelm

This will be my first child, a baby boy due June 27 and I'm thinking about laboring in water. I was advised to do so while I'm laboring at home and probably will. I want to have access to a pool at the hospital as well but I'm not sold on the idea of a water birth just yet. I figure I may not want to move to a bed once I'm in the water for labor but I guess we'll see how things go! I'm open to just about anything except an epidural. No no NO!
Posted from Android 4.1
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

I think it's great to explore your options. I really wish I had done a little more research. The best I did for myself is to do most labor at home, I was way more comfortable than I would have been in the hospital. I feel like the hospital they don't allow you to do what feels natural and comfortable.

The good thing about labor at home is that I had my first baby within 30 minutes of checking into the hospital:smileyhappy:

The second one they wanted to schedule because they were fearful of a home birth. I thought that was interesting because I had no fear of a home birth. I just wanted to do what came natural.

Have you looked into working with a doula or midwife? They can be a great help when it comes to helping you decide how to birth your child as well as helping you and your family stick to your wishes when it comes to a birthing plan.

I believe I didn't answer your question about water birthing .....sorry, I don't know much about it. I am passionate about the birthing proccess so I had to share :smileyhappy:

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 7 members 881 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: