Frequent Contributor
jessieaherold

HELP!! 9 weeks ultrasound and tech said couldnt find heartbeat

I went in today for my first ultrasound, the tech told me that she would be doing a vaginal ultrasound. As she was doing the ultrasound I saw some red and blue colors on the screen, in one of the pictureshad a red line that appeared to go directly to the baby. She told me that the colors were blood flow. After a few more pictures she said she was done and to meet her in the hallway. Once in the hallway she asked me to wait in the waiting room and she would be right with me. This made me suspicious that something was wrong and after what seemed like an eternity she called me back and told me that she couldn't find the baby's heartbeat and that I had to come back in on Friday to see the doctor. I am a little confused as to how she can tell me there is blood flow but no heartbeat. Also I have had no cramping or spotting associated with a miscarriage and still have symptoms of being pegnant. Ironically my best friend has the same doctor and she was told for three weeks straight that they couldn't find her baby's heartbeat and she now had a healthy beautiful 5 month old little girl. Needless to say I am very confused and am at a loss for words. If anyone has any advice or a similar experience I would greatly appreciate the feedback. I am trying not to freak out but am not holding it together to well.
Posted from HTC X515
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
christinashiels

Re: HELP!! 9 weeks ultrasound and tech said couldnt find heartbeat

How did the Friday appointment go? Hoping for good news...
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oneteennonebun

I hope everything ended well for you. I had an experiance like this last yr. You just stay positive (which is hard) through the next few weeks. Theres nothing to do but wait. Hopefully next week that heart beat will be loud and strong. (my doctor brought me back in for follow ups the weekly to determin what was happening. I think that is common)

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
jessieaherold

Unfortunately the appoitnment on Friday only confirmed that sometime last week the baby's heart stopped functioning and that there is no hope for this pregnancy.  This was/is the worst nightmare that I have ever had especailly since I have no signs of having a miscarriage yet and it is going on a week since my first ultrasound. To top things off I found out that I am most likely going to have to pay for the second ultrasound because of it being so close to the first one. I am beside myself and have cried so much that I cannot cry anymore, I have not been getting much sleep at all because this is the last thing i expected to hear.  The doctor told usthat if by chance the baby did make it to full term there most likely would have been some kind of disability involved or that my health would have been jeapordized in some way and that I did nothing wrong to cause this.  I know he ws just trying to comfort me/us but it did not really help. I have a follow up appointment on Tuesday to find out what course of action the doctor wants to take and go from there. On a brighter note the doctor said we know you can get pregnant and obviously you are fertile so you can try again.  My mom said that the fact that I was on birth control for about 10 years might have played a role in what is going on but who knows... Just one of those things I guess.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oneteennonebun

Unless ur a drug addict u did nothing wrong. If the cells do not form correctly it is flushed out. Not everytime is perfect and thank god mother nature made a choice for you. I know its painful and I know you are in despair but this will pass. Your baby will come to you one day. When the time is right. Let yourself breathe and just enjoy your marriage. As soon as you let go and live day to day and enjoy your life your baby will come. Some times as women we put too much pressure on ourselves to do things on a certain timeline. Don't listen to ur mother it was not birth control. You did nothing wrong. I'm so sorry for your loss. Be strong.
Posted from Android 4.3
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Crunchyhippielady

I'm so sorry this has been such a scary experience for you. To be honest, I know several people who were told at 8-10 weeks there was no heart beat and still went on to have healthy babies. Not trying to give you any false hope but there is some small amount of hope left still. Just don't do a D&C; opt to miscarry naturally instead. It's going to hurt either way. I hope that you find peace and that your next pregnancy is flawless.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dmwillsie

I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I had a miscarriage in April when I was about 8 weeks along. It is the hardest thing I've ever dealt with (which is saying something). I couldn't look at babies, toddlers, or the nursery my fiance and I had set up- we were very excited and stupid- for weeks. I can't say that time will take away the pain, my baby would have been born December 6, and I cried all that day. What did help was finding out that so many of the women I knew had miscarriages (one had two miscarriages and she has seven children). It really is nothing that you did and when the time is right, I am sure you will be blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby.

Also I am now 12 weeks along and this child seems very healthy. It's incredibly scary being pregnant after a loss, but it also makes me happier than anything else.

Best wishes,

Danielle

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 571 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: