Occasional Contributor
tiffany.munro.baby

Baby gifts you didn't register for...

So what do you do, when you receive items you didn't register for, and didn't come with gift receipts, and can't really use or you already have?

I just had my first baby shower (I have one more in a different city), and I only got two items off my registry. Most items were clothing (which is great, baby needs clothing). But then I received several gifts (without receipts) of large items I didn't register for because either I don't have room for them in our 600sqft apartment, or I already received them (so now I have 2). I am pretty sure I do not need 2 large plastic diaper organizers/caddies when I don't have a change table to put one and neither are portable (as my change table is the floor). I also really have no idea what to do with an extremely large handmade wooded cradle (5 ft x 2.5ft) when I already have a crib and bassinet.

I feel bad, I am happy and very thankful that I got such lovely gifts, but I don't have the luxury of space for a lot of these items. Do I sell the items I can't use on Craigslist? Or donate them? What if person that gave them to me comes by our apartment and doesn't see them???

Please help.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
themamasguide

Re: Baby gifts you didn't register for...

By all means sell them or return them if you can figure out what store they came from. I live in a small apartment as well and much of my family lives in larger homes in suburban communities where space isn't as much of an issue. I got several items I didn't register for from Target and returned them for a gift card which came in handy later. If there are items you don't think you'll use (and can safely do so) you can also regift them to another family or donate them to a family charity. Best wishes!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
tarajohanna

I had the same problem...disappointing after the time spent to register. If you have a Babies r Us near you they will most likely take back even if it wasn't purchased there. You'll get in-store credit, but you can always find something. I even returned some things to Target that I dont believe were purchased there.
Posted from Generic Android
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
craziemp122

If tags were removed or you cannot figure out what store they came from, you can find consignment shops that will probably take them. I am not sure how long it will take you to get the money for them, but maybe it won't take long and then you can take the money you earned and put it towards stuff you asked for.

Please use plain text.
AmayasMom

SELL!  CONSIGN!  Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings.  Try walmart.  Check online to see if they sell it and then try to return it there.  They accept a lot of no-hassle returns.  You can use the gift cards for things you REALLY need- like diapers!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
divataurusdancer

Well you can give them to another person..pay it forward ..there are people out in this world who cannot afford what others can ..
Posted from LG VS410PP
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
susansinks36408

Both Target and WalMart will accept returns of any items that they carry in store or online whether purchased there or not.  Without receipt, you will get store credit.  It's worth a try to see if either store carries the items!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 12,732 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: