New Contributor
k.valve

Re: New Mom2B seeking opinions about vaccines

[ Edited ]

I researched the subject and decided not to vaccinate my baby, because in my opinion the risks outweighed the benefits. He's six months now, 25 lbs, and an extremely happy and social baby. I recommend reading The Vaccine Book by Dr.Sears.

BUT I only recommend this if breastfeeding. Formula does not provide the same natural protection.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
snderr8459

Hello! I think it's good to always research topics regarding your parenting style and your childrens' well being - it means you're concerned and want to be sure you're doing the best thing by your kids. I am the mother of two small children and I do get them vaccinated; not just for their own safety and health, but for those around them who may be too ill to receive vaccines or can not receive vaccines for medical reasons. My children are in a playgroup and many of the kids in their playgroup now have brand new baby siblings and pregnant mommies that are all being exposed to our rough rascals of handsy toddlers and preschoolers and I know that by vaccinating my children I'm protecting them from serious illness as well as from being contagious carriers for their friends and their tiny, new tag-along siblings. However, when they were first born I came up with a few rules for our family regarding shots and that included:

1.) The hepatitis vaccine that is typically given at the hosital on day 1, my children would wait to receive at their first pediatrician visit at a week old. This was because no one in my family has hepatitis and my new babies were not at increased risk of contracting it in those first days (they never left the house). My pediatricians were wonderful and very accomodating and I felt better with my children getting the shot to protect their future, but delaying it a bit made me feel like it was giving their bodies a little more time to acclamate to their new world.

2.) I refused for my children to receive more than 3 shots per visit. This is based on anectdotal research that suggests that giving dogs several vaccines at one time can decrease their titers and therefore decrease the effectiveness of the vaccine (meaning they weren't protected or immune). While I realize dogs and people are very different, it was my way of justifying that I didn't feel comfortable with my child leaving the doctor's looking like a pin cushion. Again, my pediatrician has been very accomodating and we've worked out a shot schedule that keeps my children protected and vaccinated, but without over-doing it in one visit. I value the opinions of my pediatricians very much, after all they did study medicine for over 8 years and specialize in working with children, plus have gained new knowledge and experience daily as well as undergone rigorous continuing education programs with the purpose of making and keeping kids healthy - and I, comparatively, only have three years experience as a mother. Finding a pediatrician that was willing to explain the risk and benefits of each vaccine and was willing to listen, address my concerns, work out, and support an alternative shot schedule with me made me feel like I was doing the right thing by my kids.

My advice to you, is yes, do your own research and question things, however, keep in mind who you're speaking with and that there is no one true answer for all children. Don't fall into the trap of jumping on board with the latest trend or changing your ideals based on a rant by some preschoolers' mother who can't quote her facts or reference the study she is refering to.  I like my alternative shot schedule, but that doesn't mean it's right for your bundle of joy. Find a pediatrician you love and who listens to your concerns and your child will be fine and it's ok to shop for the right doctor - I encourage you to do so, it's so worth it! Good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
phxfinn1

Do not vaccinate until you've thoroughly educated yourself! And don't listen to the scare mongering. If you THOROUGHLY research each vaccine, their ingredients, and the diseases they're meant to prevent, along with the vaccine inserts- you will see that none of the vaccines are really necessary for a healthy infant, and the risks of vaccines are scarier. My only regret is getting my kids some vaccines before I educated myself. My daughter had measles before her first birthday and it wasn't a big deal- not the scary disease drug companies and newspapers would have you believe it is. Once you're educated, measles, chicken pox and whooping cough are not scary diseases. And you'll realize, most of the utbreaks are vaccinated individuals because vaccines are not even close to 100%. You can't undo vaccines. It took me a year of research before I realized the full risks and stopped vaccinating.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
phxfinn1

Before you just take your doctor's word for it, our pediatrician gave us lots of bad information about vaccines and the diseases they are supposed to prevent. LOTS! My daughter got 2 vaccines at 9 months old (on a delayed schedule). Within 14 days she had speech regression (loss of half her words), along with sudden allergies and eczema- she said it was all coincidence. Anyone researched in vaccines knows that allergies can be caused by a sensitive immune system response- exactly what they're meant to do. And that brain swelling from the heavy metals in the vaccines can cause a number of problems.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I535
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dnylbaskerville

Have you read The Vaccine Book by Sears? I found it informative and he provides an alternative schedule for shots that spaces them out. It's something you and you Ped can decide on. Please remember that when parents choose not to vaccinate it increases the risk of all our children. If an older unvaccinated child gets sick with a commonly vaccinated desease, his more mature immune system is better equipped to fight it. But if that child comes over to play with a friend who has a baby sibling, the baby's immune system will have a harded time fighting that desease. I wouldn't want my child to put younger children at risk. They recommend patents get vaccinated for pertussis now too , so you don't risk bringing it home to your own baby.
Posted from Samsung SGH-T959V
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marykayf

After listening to doctors regarding the safety of vaccines I have two children injured from them. My third child has never had a vaccine and is the healthiest of all my children. Do your research and don't let your doctor( most of which have not studied vaccines for more than a few hours and directly profit from them) scare you into giving them. I wish I knew what I know now because I never would have given them to any of my children.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marykayf

I can't understand people who think unvaccinated children put vaccinated children at risk!! If you believe vaccines work then how would an unvaccinated child put you at risk?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 761 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: