Occasional Visitor
momof367498

Will my kids be violent like the shooter in DC?

[ Edited ]

The news about the shooting outside of Washington’s Capitol building scares the bajeezus out of me. How do you know if your kids will turn out to be violent? I hug my kids and love them every day and teach them to be kind to others ... is that enough?

I pray my kids NEVER feel the need to be violent like that.

Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Will my kids be violent like the shooter in DC?

I agree, it is a very scary thing to think about.

I was listening to Doctor Radio yesterday and the subject was mental health. I was shocked to hear parents call in with questions about their children and wonder if they should get help. One mother said that her child is now in college but struggles with intrusive thoughts about hurting people. This has has been going on for a while but it always seemed to be under control so this parent never took the child to see anyone for help. This could be a very simple thing to treat if not ignored as well as a very serious problem if it is ignored.

I'm not saying that this child would have acted on these thoughts, but it is not normal to have these thoughts and it does need to be addressed.

I think as parents, we don't want to believe that our child could do such a thing. I can see how it would be easy to write off any red flags because we never think it's going to be our kids that do something like this. They say that hind sight is 20/20. I guess "they" are right.

Tammy

Occasional Contributor
silks52

You have to be strong, you can't let these men ruin your life. my brother is in law enforcement and it scares me that he has to deal with these criminals on a daily basis.

Educational Toys
Community Manager
ModChristine

I think we just have to raise our children to the best of our ability.  Love them, be involved in their lives and raise them with good values.

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 595 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: