Occasional Visitor
alihaider0026

Do first-person shooters influence real-life violence?

I'm doing some research for a media study; I want to know what different people think about this subject. Do first person shooter games, like Call of Duty and Battlefield, where the player takes on the role of a gunman, have an impact/influence on real life violence? Here's a few examples of where it could be argued that these games do in-fact encourage violence:

Anders Breivik- Perpetrator of the Norway attacks 2011 in which a total of 77 lives were lost. Anders claimed that he 'trained on Call of Duty' before carrying out these attacks

Aaron Alexis- Shot and killed 12 people earlier this year, in September at the Washington Navy Yard. He would play games like Call of Duty and similar shooting games for up to almost 18 hours a time. It was claimed that he heard voices in his head after playing these games. Friends and family believe this pushed him to to do what he did.

I would like your input on this subject; what do you think about it, do you agree? Do you disagree? Why? Please just be as open as possible. When leaving a comment please leave your gender and age group. Thank you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Do first-person shooters influence real-life violence?

I think this is a great question. Of coarse I don't know the answer, but I have some thoughts on it.

First I will say that there was a time my husband would play call of duty after the kids went to bed. I didn't and never will understand the enjoyment one gets from a game where you shoot people dead. I will also say that I am 100% sure that my husband knows reality from fantasy.

We have a 7 year old son that is not allowed to play video games of a violent nature (hard to find) he has also never seen my husband play call of duty. The reason being because he is at an age where he is becoming aware of mortality and learning new things about the world we live in. I believe that if he were to play games of a violent nature he may not be able to distinguish between real life and fantasy. Although I don't know the facts, I fear that violent, first person shooter games may affect the way they view real life.

I believe that electronics in general have created a problem in our society. Kids now have little to no interaction with any other generation. They are not required to participate in a conversation with grandma, they are handed an electronic device to keep them quiet. They are no longer expcted to behave while in public because they are taught to walk through life with head phones on. We have not taught ourkids how to behave in society without all the gadgets.

We have a friend that came over with her kids and neither of the kids even said hello or goodbye. One sat with us at the dinner table with headphones and a game and the other sat by the front door. That is the way they are taught to behave. Its a shame because as humans we need close personal relationships for happiness and we are not fostering thase relationships for our kids. We are going to end up with a bunch of depressed young adults!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 565 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: