Occasional Visitor
lindahargens

Re: Anyone still think Obamacare is a good thing?

I dont know about other people but I voted for Obama because we wanted to reform helthcare.  The healthcare system in this country is very broken.  I spent years unable to afford insurance and suffered through being miserably sick without visiting a doctor many times because I didnt have insurance.  At one point I ended up in the emergency room without insurance.  An emergency room visit without insurance cost thousands of dollars.  I think it goes without saying that I never payed those bills.  When my husband started his new job a few years ago we were able to get good insurance through his work.  We knew that some things would change because of the new laws.  We have a high deductible plan and pay out of pocket until our deductible is met.  Yes our premiums went up.  Yes our deductible went up.  Are we complaining? NO!!!  We have many friends that have benefited from the new laws and we are grateful to know that they now have that security of knowing that if something happens they will be covered.  Maybe you should take a little time away from your ranting and think about all of the people that are being helped.  Take a little time and relize that we cant flip a switch and fix our entire healthcare system at once.  The new laws are a step in the right direction and I hope that many more steps will continue in the years to come.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
forUK1

I apologize if you are a true member.  I know that people have been hired to do nothing but comment favorably on this topic.  If that is not what you are doing, I do apologize. 

What have I posted that is inaccurate?  I would like specifics please.  Our business IS health care, so I'm pretty sure I have everything correct.  I know I have everything correct for how my family (& our employees) have been hurt.  I know I have everything correct for my friend, who has been trying to sign up for weeks. I know I have everything correct where pharmacy and doctors are concerned.  When it affects your life, your business, you know.  Is Obama saying what I have posted is inaccurate?  Of course!  He also said, "if you like your insurance you can keep it"  and lied about Benghazi for weeks, saying it was caused by a video!  The truth eventually came out, just as it will here, just as it already has about keeping your insurance, but it will be too late!

The numbers prove that it is hurting more people than helping.  Of course I want good health care for everyone; we all do.  Destroying everyone's health care is not helping anyone.  Please, just look for facts.  That is all I ask.  I want the truth to be exposed.  In the end the truth is what matters, and you are not getting it listening to our media or politicians.  And as far as the "partisan" comment....I'm not happy with most of the GOP or the Democrats.  Not sure what I said that was partisan, unless it was the simple fact that I don't favor a president who lies to the people?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
forUK1

Since my facts have been questioned, let me give specifics:

Cleveland Clinic:

To prepare for healthcare reform, Cleveland Clinic is transforming the way  care is delivered to patients. Over the past several years, we have had an  ongoing focus on driving efficiencies, lowering costs, reducing duplication in services and enhancing quality to  make healthcare affordable to patients.Although we have made progress,  we need to further reduce costs to the organization by $330 million in  2014.  We are carefully evaluating all aspects of our system to accomplish  this. Some of the initiatives include offering early retirement  to 3,000 eligible employees, reducing operational costs, stricter review of  filling vacant positions, and lastly workforce reductions."

Vanderbilt University:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130918/BUSINESS05/309180127/2275/RSS05?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

UPS told 15,000 workers that their spouses would no longer be offered insurance as a result of Obamacare.   http://www.nbcnews.com/health/ups-takes-spouses-insurance-blames-obamacare-6C10975695

Many businesses have been forced to cut hours because of it:

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/13/20010062-businesses-claim-obamacare-has-forced-th...''

More real families (like mine):

http://www.ourmidland.com/opinion/editorials/telfer-local-families-hurt-by-affordable-care-act/artic...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
forUK1

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tommieupm

[ Edited ]
I shouldn't involve myself in this discussion any more. Clearly you want to believe that providing healt care to your neighbors is a bad thing. But.....

Vanderbuilt (Cleveland Clinic) states that they have been trying to reduce costs for YEARS. not exactly the direct result of ACA that you would prefer to believe.

UPS states that they will no longer cover MOST spouses because they now have ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE ELSEWHERE.

most retail and low or minimum wage jobs keep employee hours to 24 or less per week so they don't have to offer any benefits. This is nothing new. The Nationwide company that I work for is one of those that keep all employees as part time. It comes down to pure greed. For some reason, they think that a sick employee can easily be replaced by an untrained new employee. They have no respect for their employees, who are frequently the first face and the last face customers see when shopping. The lack of respect...the non valuing of employees is shown by minimum wages, short hours and no benefits. The ACA does not affect employer greed.

The op Ed piece cites two people in a community of several thousand (?) perhaps you could cite an example of inner city changes for poverty level folks that are affected by ACA.

I would be more inclined to comment on the other sources that you have cited if they were from respected sources.

And now, like Leigh, I'm done with this. You can go and poke someone else with that stick you carry.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
forUK1

And you refuse to admit the simple truth that this is hurting more people than helping.  I found lots & lots of sources, all saying the same thing.  It's easy to find if you look for the truth.  I can post them all day long, but if you won't believe these you won't believe them either!  Huffington Post, NBC, CBS,...hardly right wing sources!

What about Cleveland Clinic?  What about Vanderbilt?  What about the other companies whose employees are in fact hurt?  You can not deny it all.  You can not disprove it.  It IS happening, just as many of us knew it would!

Companies ARE cutting hours.  They all blame Obamacare.  You can deny it if you choose.  It doesn't change the truth!  They ARE cutting hours due to Obamacare, no other reason.  These hard working people are being hurt by Obamacare.  Multiple companies are laying off people and citing Obamacare as the reason. Why do you try to deny that this is happening? Do you defend this President no matter what?  Do you ever admit that he has made a mistake?  I'm guessing not! 

You all questioned my post, even basically called me a liar.  I gave you sources to prove that what I am telling you is the truth.  You can believe it, or choose to bury your head in the sand.  It won't change anything, and soon enough your own health care will suffer, just as many of us already are!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
forUK1

More facts (since they are so easy to find!):

According  to the Congressional Budget Office, 76% of those who stand to be slapped with  the penalty (the Supreme Court calls it a tax) for not carrying insurance are  those earning less than $120,000. The penalty for the average American family  is $4,700 a year in new taxes.

Other new Obamacare taxes will hit drug companies (totaling $27 billion), and  medical device makers ($20 billion), as well as enforce new reporting  requirements and regulations on physicians.

But these stipulations could make access to health care and services more  costly and difficult for seniors.

About six million people  nationwide will most likely lose their Medicaid eligibility because their  states will not join the Medicaid expansion.

Roughly half would be able to  obtain private insurance, leaving the other half without coverage, the CBO  reports.

The $8 billion “Obamacare” fee on insurers will increase Americans’ premiums by  $10.6 billion in its first year, estimates Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a former  director of the Congressional Budget Office .

In 2014, people earning between $10,000 and $30,000 will pay almost $2.8 billion  in higher health insurance premiums. People earning between $30,000 and $50,000  will pay $2.2 billion. (This does not include the proposed government subsidy.)  People earning from $75,000 to $100,000 will pay less than $1.5 billion, and the  numbers only go down from there.

Indiana schools and families:

Fort Wayne Community Schools is trimming the hours of more than 600 part-time teaching aides and cafeteria workers in anticipation of a projected budget shortfall and to satisfy the requirements of the federal health care law, a school official said.

Kathy Friend, chief financial officer for FWCS, said the school district is dropping 610 employees from 30 hours to 25 hours per week starting June 3, rather than provide them with health insurance as mandated by impending federal regulations. Offering all of the district's 840 part-time employees health insurance would have cost $10 million, a price the district cannot afford, she said.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20130527/LOCAL04/305279955/1026/local04

Even labor leader Jimmy Hoffa Jr., usually a reliable supporter of President Obama, said ObamaCare will "destroy the foundation of the 40-hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class."

More news on middle class:  http://healthblog.ncpa.org/obamacares-unfair-treatment-of-middle-class-families/

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79266.html

More real people:  http://www.app.com/article/20131023/NJOPINION02/310230007?nclick_check=1

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 443 members 80,591 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: