ModChristine

How will you tell family?

How will you tell family or your significant other that you are pregnant?  I wasn't creative at all!  With my second, I had a shirt made for my son that said "I'm the big brother" and he wore it to my parents house.  They never caught on until we said something! 

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
jessieaherold

Re: How will you tell family?

With my first pregnancy we did tell family and a few really close friends that we were trying and we definitely didn't expect to get pregnant so fast.  Once the pregnancy was confirmed at about 6.5-7 weeks we decided to tell my step daughter. Since it was November and getting closer to Christmas I bought an ornamnet for the tree. Dad said that it is their tradition that every year she gets to pick and ornament to put on the tree. However, this year I picked out the ornament and on one side it said "I'm the Big Sister" and on the other side it said "So that makes me the boss" and it came with a marker to put the date on it. We decided to take her out to dinner and that is when we told her. The look on her face was PRICELESS!! Afterwards I picked up an ornamnet for my mom that said "I love my grandma" and I skyped with her and showed her the ornament and she said oh that is a really nice one, because she thought I got it to commerate my grandma as she had passed after giving lung cancer one hell of a fight. My stepdad was sitting behind my mom and started laughing when he read the ornament.  My mom couldn't understand what was so funny and eventually caught on. Then she thought we were joking with her so I had to show her the pregnancy test and she said "Oh wow you guys are really going the extra mile to get me on this one"! LOL! The next day she called me asking if we were joking with her the night before because I was that child that said "I didn't want to have kids".   Unfortunately not long after we shared the news with everyone we were told the most devastating anyone wants to hear. When I went in for an ultrasound the tech informed me that the baby didn't have a heartbeat.  It was the worst thing that I had ever been told in my entire life. So this time around I think we are going to be waiting for a while before we decide to fill everyone in.  Thankfullythere are message boards like this one that I can use to talk to other women and to ask questions because I really do not want to put my mom, family and friends through that again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
deb77k

I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage, I too had a miscarriage last September, it was my first pregnancy and very, very devastating.  I am happy and very nervous about being pregnant again. I did share the news with my mom when we went out to dinner.  She is a very caring and supportive (nosey) person, and I cannot keep anything from her no matter how hard I try.  We joke that if she could track my monthly cycle for me, she would.  So when she asked if I had gotten my period, I could not lie.  Other than that, my husband is the only one that knows.

--Deb--
First timer
Due ~ 12/10/14
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
jessieaherold

I am so sorry for your loss. Since my miscarriage my mom has been kinda nosey when it comes to my monthly cycle as well.  Of course she asked me how things are going after i knew that we were pregnant. while i did not completely lie to her I did bend the truth a little bit. lol! I told her that my cycle was a few days late but eventually showed up. I just cannot handle  telling her that we are pregnant when there is still a possibility of miscarriage. Once we get a little further long my mom wil be the first to know. I am not sure if you caught my other post but when I went to the doc on Monday they did an ultrasound and the tech said that I might be pregnant with twins but it is still a little early to tell which is what the docter said too. I go back in two weeks for another ultrasound so I hope we will know more. Just hoping that the next two weeks will go by fast. lol!

CONGRATS to you!

Posted from Nextbook 8P12
Please use plain text.
Contributor
deb77k

Congrats to you too!  Wishing you luck on your next ultrasound!

--Deb--
First timer
Due ~ 12/10/14
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chrystalawelsh

This is our first and when we found out we decided to only tell our immediate family. So we bought two onsies one said "Grandpa's little sidekick" and the other said "Grandmas little girl". We wrapped them up in tissue paper and stuck them inside happy meals. It took my mother forever to figure out why they were in there but when she did, we both cried. We are going to keep it quite to everyone else until after we find out the gender (all of the rest of our family lives out of state so its easy) and then mail scratch off cards to announce the pregnancy and gender at the same time. After the first trimester though if people find out, its not a huge deal but I have vowed my family to keep the secret.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Super Cute! Love this idea!

Tammy

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 865 members 128,014 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: