Occasional Contributor
pab3girls1

My Birth Story for my Fourth Child, My Only Son

On October 9, 2013, I was just 38 weeks pregnant and excited as i had just stopped working in a career as a paralegal for the last 25 years. I was ready to give up my career and be a SAHM for my son. I was in the midst of my nesting instincts. I felt the strong need to cook and bake because I don't have a support system in family and friends to help me out with a new baby. I was doing this on my own with just a little help from my boyfriend. I'm 43 years old having a new baby but I was and am excited. It was 3:00 pm and I started watching Cassablanca - I never saw the movie. All of the sudden I needed to go to the bathroom and I got this gush of liquid - I honestly thought I was peeing myself. There was no pain or contractions. I immediately called my bf to come over quick and I called the doctor. They told me to go to the hospital immediately. Thankfully, packing my hospital bag wasn't a task I left for last. So I felt somewhat prepared. What I wasn't prepared for was my son coming 2 weeks early. My bf hurried over - excited- and got me over to the hospital in one piece - even going through red lights. He is a retired city battalion fire chief - a very tough man by nature. He is my best friend. When I arrived at the hospital, other people were congratulating us for our upcoming birth. My contractions started. We checked in and was taken to a delivery room. There was no turning back now. I was scared. Every birth is different. I had a very young nurse who had a difficult time getting an IV into my hand. Needless to say, my entire hand was bruised for several days after. I wanted to ask for someone else to do it but just went with the flow. She gave me Pitocin to speed things up as I was only 2 cm dilated. That was about 4:30pm. Things sped up all right. I was in agony soon enough. We decided to play tough and forego any pain meds for the sake of our baby. His heart rate kept declining and going back to normal. It was a good decision for us. I just used the breathing techniques I leaned in our birthing class. My bf kept me focused and kept putting counter pressure on my lower back every time a contraction came along which was about every couple of minutes. Before I knew it, I started having the pushing urges and the attending doctor told me I was 10 cm. That only took 2 hours. My doctor missed the delivery. I used one contraction to push my son out. He was born at 8:48pm that evening weighing 7 lb 9 oz. However, when pushing out the placenta, part of it remained inside. My doctor had to go in 4 times to get it all out - with no pain meds. It was like giving birth 4 more times. He told me if he didn't get it all out, I would hemorrhage. Apparently, this is more common than one would think. I had an episiotomy too which needed repair with just a local. I couldn't wait to be left alone after that. I just wanted to nurse my son. He is almost 3 weeks and I have been breastfeeding him solely. The only downfall is his weight is down. I'm hoping when I get him weighed on Monday, he will have gained more weight. All in all, I have a beautiful baby boy - Johann Mathias. He is worth all the pain I went through. I consider myself very lucky that he came into this world kn 5.5 hours.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: My Birth Story for my Fourth Child, My Only Son

Wow!  Congratulations on your baby boy and thank you so much for sharing your story :smileyhappy:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
alexismiller85

Wow your labor went quick. Although, i hear after your first they normally do. I am due with my first April 22nd and pray that the labor is quick. Lord knows im ready to meet her!

Mommy2Be

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
pab3girls1

Well congratulations! April will be here before you know it! Yes, it was very fast and painful. I opted out of pain meds due to my age and the fact that my son's heart rate was compromised by my labor. Sometimes things do not go the way you want them too. The best advice I can give you is to eat healthy and exercise (walking, light weights) if you are able to. This will help at the time of labor - more than you know. Good luck to you and please let me know how your labor went after you have your daughter. I can't believe my son is already 3 months old. Time flies!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
carina.garza209

Congrats and wow im currently pregnant 5th pregnancy 4th baby hope my pregnancy goes that fast lol
Posted from Samsung SGH-I537
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
tamaracampbell79

Congrats. I am currently pregnant with my 5th child. He's way active n I hope its as quick as urs. Am due April 25
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
pab3girls1

Thank you and congrats to you too! Wow 5th one! Awesome! Good luck, April is just around the corner. Keep me posted!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 923 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: