Occasional Visitor
sshort3371822

My 26 week delivery

I was 25 week when I went into laber with my son, Damien. I went into the hospital with a bladder infection which was causeing contractions. After antibiotics, 3 rounds of steroids and patocin the doctors could not stop my labor but simply prolong it. On the 5th day of labor, I was woken up by a doctor telling me to prepare to bury my son, that there was no way he would survive outside the womb being so early. Less than 24 hours later my water broke, only there was no amniotic fluid it was nothing but blood. From the time my water broke until they got the baby out took 10  minutes. After that it took another 2 hours and 45 minutes. My son was 1 pound 13 oz and 14 inches long. 

Following my sons birth at 26 weeks 5 days, it took 10 minutes for the RT to get him to breathe. He spent 2 months 8 days in the NICU gaining weight and developing his lungs. When he was 3 days old the doctors did a MRI of my son and learned that he is missing the optic nerve on his right side and the corpus callosum in his brain.
Now my son is almost 5, blind in his right side and perfect healthy.

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

Re: My 26 week delivery

Wow, your son is a true miracle :smileyhappy:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
aembert

Your son is a miracle cherish him always
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
jcardwe1

Congratulations. I think your doctor could use some sensitivity training!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
justmonicak

What a strong little boy. My son was born at 27 weeks, weighing 2 lbs. He was in the NICU for 2 months. Ramon will turn 18 in June and on to college to play baseball.
Posted from HTC PM23300
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kavanaghssf1

Mine is a vry similar story!  My son was born at 25 1/2 weeks, weighed in at 705 grams, was intubated for 3 months, had pnemonia 4 times, was given a 20% chance of survival and had lungs the size of almonds.  He is now a perfectly healthy 10 year old.  Other babies in the NICU were not so lucky.  It was heartbreaking to come to the NICU and see an empty incubator - I was so scared that my son would be next but he survived!  I call him red-headed viking warrior!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kavanaghssf1

My son was born at 25 1/2 weeks - he was given a 20% chance of survival.  His heart stopped 3 times before he was born, he was resusitated after an emergency c-section (he was breach).  He was intubated for 3 months and had pnemonia 4 times.  His lungs were the size of almonds and were cystic and compared to a 95 year old who smoked for 70 years.  He left the hospital after 14 weeks weighing in at 4lbs and is now a perfectly healthy 10 year old.  I call him my red-headed viking warrior!

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 3,159 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: