New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-17-2013

Audrey's Birth Story & My Rite of Passage

Here's the birth story of my daughter, Audrey, which was published on my blog just days after she was born! It was also featured in an e-mail sent to BabyCenter members, which was pretty amazing.  


Audrey's Birth Story & My Rite of Passage

On Sunday, September 1st I was lying in bed and trying to get some rest. It was 10:30PM, and I had minimal signs of pre-labor, but I had a feeling something was going to happen soon. I felt my first contraction and tried to fall asleep knowing that something might happen, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to. The contractions were different from others I had previously, so I knew right away I was in labor.

Eventually the contractions became uncomfortable enough that I couldn't relax much between them. I labored throughout the entire next day, which was Labor Day--the day I secretly hoped to give birth because I thought it would be corny and funny. The contractions slowed at about 7:00PM, and I feared they would stop completely, but I was very wrong. I didn't want to wear myself out, and I hadn't slept for long the night before, so I decided to go to the store with my husband and get something to take the edge off my discomfort.

Right after getting in the car, my contractions picked up again. I had a contraction in the car, one in the bathroom of Pick ‘n’ Save, and one on the drive home. Once I got home, I checked my e-mail and ate some Skittles. At one point, I was reading something online and I started to get a contraction. I continued eating, but the contractions were becoming difficult to ignore, so I started humming and making a “Mmmm” noise. Brad looked over at me and asked, “Are you moaning because of a contraction or those Skittles?” I genuinely replied, “Both.”

I didn’t sleep at all on Monday night either. My contractions became longer, even stronger, and much closer together. At about 4:00 in my morning they were constantly two minutes apart, and I started to feel a really strange urge to push, which made me a little scared. I told Brad we should go in to the hospital, so we called Sabrina, our doula, and she met us there.

When we got to the hospital, I had to go to triage straight away. We waited patiently while they checked my vitals, looked at the baby’s heart rate, and checked how far dilated I was. I was about 3 to 3 ½ cm dilated, and the reason I felt the urge to push was because I was having back labor. Since I am a first-time-mom, I didn’t think anything of the fact that I felt the majority of the pressure in my back, despite the research I had done earlier. They admitted us, but we only stayed for a little while. I told them I would like to leave and go home until later (in an effort to avoid induction since I wasn’t dilating quickly.)  

The ride home was when the contractions started to become fairly difficult to mentally block. I hadn’t slept since Sunday, and I needed to eat. Brad made me some eggs while I continued to work through some of the surges in the living room, and I ate about half the eggs before I knew I needed to start becoming creative with easing my discomfort. They continued to stay about 3 minutes apart, and at 9:00AM I needed to get to the doctor’s office for an appointment with my midwife anyway. It was certainly another difficult car ride since I hated sitting down with the back labor, and I knew I would have to get through the contractions in public, and I was sure most people panic when they see or hear of a woman in labor. (I think it’s because of Hollywood’s portrayal of childbirth.)

The appointment went fairly well, but I hadn’t made as much progress as I felt like I should by that time. My midwife cleared me to go home again as I wished. I was starting to become a little fatigued, and it was Tuesday morning at this point, and I hadn’t slept since Saturday night (even though I was able to catch a couple moments of deep relaxation between surges in the early parts of labor.) We stayed at home as long as I could handle to stay. I started vocalizing my discomfort, and I’ll admit that I used profanity a couple times. Mostly just the “S” word, though.  

On Tuesday at 6:00PM, I told Brad that it was time to go to the hospital. I had enough, and I had to be so close to ready by this point. We were taken to triage again, and because of that I wanted to punch someone really hard in the face. The contractions were still two minutes apart, but the only way I could successfully cope was if I got on my hands and knees. (This was because Audrey was posterior.) They did all the normal tests, but before they were done they agreed to admit me, so I was taken to one of the laboring rooms.

I held on for a little while longer before weighing my options and deciding to get an epidural. I was exhausted, and using medication was my last-resort, but I knew that it would be better to allow myself to sleep and have enough energy to push than to risk having a c-section due to being too exhausted. Although we were told it would take about 40 minutes to get the epidural, it took about two hours. I was antsy at the time, but looking back on it the time actually went by pretty quickly.

After getting the epidural, I was able to rest. They checked my cervix and I still hadn’t made much progress. I opted to have them break my bag of waters rather than be given Pitocin. After breaking my bag, I went to sleep for an hour. When I woke up, I was 10cm dilated and ready to push! Plus, since I had fallen asleep on my left side, my epidural wasn’t very strong on my right side, so I was able to feel some things which helped me with movement and pushing.

My midwife left the lights off as I requested, and my support team used flashlights. I pushed for about 20 minutes, and at 4:29AM I saw Audrey appear. I reached down, grabbed her, and pulled her out and up on my abdomen. Audrey was born at 8 pounds, 5 ounces, and 19 inches long. The first thing my doula said to me was, “Wow, mamma, that is one big baby.” I was speechless for a few moments, but I looked up at Brad and, for whatever reason, the first thing I said was “Her earlobes look great for piercing.”
wahm, writer, dance and cheer coach
lover of scarves, cuddly kittens, and coffee

find me:
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-22-2013

Re: Audrey's Birth Story & My Rite of Passage

Your first words made me laugh. although thinkings about being in labor that long is horrifying! Enjoyed reading it!


Mom2Be in April

New Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎01-01-2014

Re: Audrey's Birth Story & My Rite of Passage

So strong of you to be able to stay calm and collected at home all those days.. hoping i will be able to do the same.. wouldn't want to spend unnecessary time at the hospital
Posted from Samsung SGH-M919

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 2 members 108 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: