N/A
Robinsonjaci

Re: Feeding Help - Considering Giving up Breastfeeding

1) breast feeding is hard, don't beat yourself up - you're still learning and so is your baby. It took me a solid six weeks with my first before we had it remotely figured out. I breastfed on demand, didn't pull him off before he was done and always offered the second side.
2) sleep deprivation sucks. My first took 45 minutes to eat and are every two hours for 8 months, so I didn't get more than an 1-1 1/4 hours sleep in a row for 8 months. It was horrible, but it does end.
3) check out Dr Jack Newman's website and book. They solve pretty much every breast feeding problem.
4) I'd agree to stop supplementing. Trust your body to make enough and pump between feeding a to supplement with if you can.
5) any time breast feeding is good for your baby, so congratulations on working so hard on it already.
6) Go see a lactation consultant. In Canada they are free and are a huge help.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

They told me that when she fell asleep to undress her, and stroke the side of her cheek to make her reflex's kick in. Also rub the bottom of her chin :smileyhappy:

worked everytime.

and I officially have been BFing for a year!

As for the lack of sleep.. that'll happen for quite a few more months..theres nothing you can do about that one, except time. :smileyhappy:  It sucks, unfortunately. I was a walking zombie for MONTHS. Finally, around 5 months she began to sleep through the night in longer stretches, and now sleeps for the whole night (unless shes teething).

You arent doing anything wrong at all. Keep it up!

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
s1371694

Hang in there girl!! Like everyone said, you're not alone.  Breastfeeding is hard and the lack of sleep doesn't help but things get easier with time. I agree and think there is a growth spurt going on bc my son would do the same. Also maybe try to avoid dairy or spicy foods, anything that might be effecting the taste of your milk and see if that helps. Also burp frequently. I would also suggest to instead supplement with your milk rather than formula. Try to pump as much as possible and use a bottle and see if that works better. The cheek stroking and stroking near the chin and corner of the mouth also helped wake mine up when he fell asleep. Touching his back or the back of his neck with a cold hand helped too. As for side-lying nursing, I was  too afraid to do that when he was younger but I do that now. If you can, try to nap when she does.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dutkian

i have an 8 week old, that has only had formula once. weve had our problems, for the first three weeks he had the hardest time latching. he still falls asleep breastfeeding. its normal. they are so relaxed and secure they fall asleep. i thought about giving up as well, and i cried. lord did i cry. im not going to tell you that you have to push through. you need to do what you feel is right. i agree breastfeeding is best. but considering pumping and then bottle feeding. true its a hassle, and god is it time consuming. but you can still be comforted that baby is getting your milk and your nutrients. hope it helped! stay strong. itll get better.

Please use plain text.
spamangela1

Don't give up! It becomes so much easier.  Your baby probably just wants to suck. Try a pacifier or have your partner hold, rock, shush, swing, etc.  Also, consider side lying nursing to give you some rest.  Or, have your partner wake up to give a full bottle of formula, and let you rest completely.  Infants go through many stages, and none or them are permanent or last very long.  In the long run, breast feeding is WAY easier that formula.  Imagine getting up everynight to heat water for formula, wash bottles, etc. Instead, you can just pop your nipple in your baby's mouth!  Also, breatfeeding is free, formula will cost you over $1000 a year.  You're doing great!

Please use plain text.
bentleymclean

I'm a second time mum n first time round no one told me about CLUSTER FEEDING. This happens at about 3 weeks but can happen at 2-4 basically bubs will feed like you have described to increase your supply.. so that as they grow their supply will grow with them.. cluster feeding happens every few weeks. But their is an end once bubs has that supply up he will settle back down again... But cluster feeding is hard to survive especially when your breastfeeding and can't share the burden.. hang in their
Posted from HTC M7
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online: 981 members 80,633 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: