lizroque01

Feeding Help - Considering Giving up Breastfeeding

I am a first time mom with a three and a half week old. I'm currently struggling because when I breastfeed, she falls asleep. Although I wake her up multiple times during a feeding, she still doesn't seem full when we finish. At night, this is incredibly stressful and frustrating. She wakes up to feed, nurses for an hour or so, then when i go to put her down, she wakes back up and acts hungry. I supplement at that point with an ounce or two of formula. If she does go down to sleep, she wakes up again within an hour to an hour and half. By the time I get in bed, and finally fall asleep, its time to wake up again to feed.

I want to give up on breastfeeding but know its whats best. Unfortunately the lack of sleep is catching up and I see no end in sight.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PattyBarrow11

Re: Feeding Help - Considering Giving up Breastfeeding

Hi, I have 2 children I breastfed my youngest one (1yr old now). I exclusively fed him his 1st yr. I remember those times... don't get discouraged, it sounds like she is going through a growth spurt. Which, when she feeds in a frenzy like that, sje is increasing your milk supply so that your supply will be enough to fill hrr in due time. I wanted to give up srveral times until I found that out. Thank God, the growth spurts do begin to space out more and more! You have a blessed day:smileyhappy:
Posted from Motorola MOTXT912B
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
cassie186

With my first I literally had to undress her at that age in order for her to finish a feeding. She would fall asleep and not finish eating because she'd get warm and cozy and zonk out lol. The third week is tough because like pp mentioned they have a little growth spurt somewhere in there where their tummies get bigger.

Good luck and keep trying! It does get better, I promise. If you can, I found that side nursing at night was a lifesaver for the first little bit. I just lay in bed for the night with the baby right next to me, and when they'd wake up I hooked them up on that side. Then the next time they woke up I rolled over to the other side and just hooked them up. At least if they're sleep eating I can feed them in my sleep this way :smileyhappy:

After six weeks or so it gets WAY easier. If breastfeeding is important to you, don't give up or start supplementing yet unless she isn't gaining enough weight, since it will make it so that your body doesn't make her enough milk in a few days when she finishes her growth spurt.

Please use plain text.
rockandroller1

Hi dearie. First of all, you are not alone. Please contact your local La Leche League chapter leader, they are a great resource and will be local to you. Secondly, I know how effing tired you are. I KNOW. my son did not sleep through the night until he was TWO. Yeah, I know. You can do it. Most important things: QUIT SUPPLEMENTING. Nothing will kill Bf quicker. If you want to give up and FF, that's a personal choice, but I would knock that off right now. Please note: DO NOT MEASURE WHETHER OR NOT BABY IS GETTING WNOUGH BY ANY OTHER METHOD THAN NUMBER OF POOPY AND WET DIAPERS PER DAY, combined with weight gain. You can take your baby into your peds whenever you want to weigh them if you want to check weight. Crying, screaming, fussy, gas, awake, asleep, none of this means the baby is hungry. Also important: the baby's digestive system is very immature. Everything will upset it. In fact, many books refer to the first 3 months as the "fourth trimester." This is very true. Babies are just a f&ck-all mess the first 3 months. They are helpless and in pain and frustrated. It's not you. The baby will not starve. And NO BABY EVER DIED FROM CRYING. I know how hard it is to see through the fog. You can do this. You can.

Consult the Kellymom site; I swear I was on it daily. It is a great resource for every question you have along the BF journey. Do not give up. Call your LLL leader for help anytime.

Lastly, it seems insurmountable, but if you really want the baby to cry less, give up dairy. Something like 80% of human babies are allergic to dairy. It is very hard for them to digest and you may see a big improvement if you stop consuming it. I was in denial about this for months until my baby finally started to have blood in his poop from it and I could deny it no longer.

Hope these tips help.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
KellyHoerter

I had the same problem with my first. You may want to consider pumping and bottle feeding. You may still have trouble with baby falling asleep, but that problem can sometimes be easier to manage with a bottle. You can also max out your milk supply (with extra for storage) and get your baby on a regular feeding schedule. All 3 of mine put themselves on a regular 3 hour feeding schedule when I fed them that way. For other reasons, I was almost unable to breastfeed, but pumping and bottle feeding worked well for me. Feeding from a bottle makes it much easier to monitor how much they are getting at each feeding. Here's the method that worked best for me: Pump every 3 hours. Immediately fix a bottle, then store the rest in a milk storage bag in the fridge. When the bag is almost full, put it in the freezer. With my last, I was storing about 2 to 3 bags per day. If you don't want to try this as a long term solution, it may help just to do it for a little while until the baby can stay awake easier. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
imtoolgal1

I know how you feel. My third is currently two months old and I had trouble nursing all 3. I know breast is best, we all know that. But if for some reason you have to switch to formula, or supplement with it, DO NOT feel bad. I had post-partum depression with my first two because of formula. And it wasn't my choice to supplement, I had to. But so many people were telling me to keep trying, plus natural instinct said I should be able to feed my baby, and it really got to me. So do what you feel you need to. My oldest is 4 and received very little breast milk, and she's totally fine. And babies that are adopted may never receive breast milk and they are fine too. It It's best, and cheaper, but it's not the only option. (Also, sleep deprivation causes stress and stress decreases milk production.) Hang in there and know you are not alone! :-)
Posted from Samsung SGH-T999
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
evg1404

First off, way to go. It can be overwhelming at times. I bottle-fed my first 17 years ago. I am currently breastfeeding my 6 wk old daughter (child #2). If you can start pumping, as it along with your baby, will increase your supply. It will also allow you to supplement with your milk and not formula. If you have a partner allow them to feed the bottled milk to your child. We are using advent natural (slow flow nipple). My daughter takes bottle from husband (or other caregiver) and still breastfeeds from me without problem. We gave been doing this since she was about a week old. Not for the issues you have been having, but because I have had times I needed to be away from her for work appointments. And it was a good thing as I had emergency surgery and needed to be away from her a couple days.

I do not wake her for "scheduled" feedings. If she is sleeping that's what I let her do. Sometimes she can sleep for 4-5hours. But will wake up hungry. I think when you can find your natural rythum with your baby things get so much easier.

I enjoy sharing feedings with my husband. It allowed him to bond with her more intimately than diaper changes and helping when she's fussy. Plus he usually takes the feeding that occurs around 10 allowing me to sleep a few hours straight before I do the overnight feeding.

Hang in there and if its too difficult do not feel guilty ifyou need to switch to bottles using your breastmilk or not.
Posted from Samsung SCH-I747
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 186 members 18,710 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: