New Contributor
faingiel973

Re: Do you ever regret the name you chose?

I think the name you chose for your son is meaningful and beautiful. Augustin and Jones are both very strong names. I know that teasing is a big concern, but really, kids will tease kids for anything. A bully can find something about anyone to pick on them about, but if your son is taught to be proud of his name and not let the opinions of others affect him (as much as possible for a child), not only will the bullies not care as much to pick on him (because they won't get the reaction they are looking for), but your son will likely be confident in other areas as well (which will result in less teasing all the way around). My son's name is Angel. His father's side of the family is Hispanic and they pronounce it with the 'h' sound rather than the 'g' sound, but my side pronounces it with the 'g.' I had concerns of him being teased, especially when he came out with the lighter skin and not looking very Hispanic at all. I thought there would be a lot of "that's a girl's name" or "you don't look Hispanic" "did your name come from the Bible," or many other things. I tried my best to just make him proud of himself and have as much self confidence as I could teach him to have. Turns out, his name has never been the target of the schoolyard punks. It's always been his size since he is smaller than average. However, none of the bullies ever spent much time on him because he likes himself and he doesn't believe the things they say, or let them get to him. At the beginning of 1st grade, one kid pushed him and Angel pushed him back. Another punched him and Angel punched him right back. That was the end of it, and nobody has really bothered him since. Angel has actually taken to standing up for other kids who are being picked on and taking them under his wing. I think if you love your son's name, so will he. Use it and be proud of it, your name is who you are!
Posted from Generic Android
Please use plain text.
jst515

why would Augustin be an issue..i love unique names... if you look at him and think his name fits...leave it. you did it out of love and respect. kids will figure out the name they like to be called..he may like augustin, aj or even Auggie...and lets be honest..if kids decide to pick on a kid they dont need a reason, they will invent one; their name, their hair color, they have same sex parents..wish it werent so but it will happen and you as parents will do what's best to help your child through like we will all have to! i say KEEP THE NAME!!!! (and call him Augs!!) =)
Please use plain text.
ilyheavenleigh

I've been going through something similar with my second daughter. We didn't find out she was a girl until she was born, and we had chosen the name savanna for a girl, and Harper for a boy....when she was born and they asked her name me and my fiance both said Harper simultaneously. So she became Harper Leigh.
I feel like the name is to masculine for her. Our older daughter is named Anneliese (pronounced anna-lisa) and we call her Annie. Annie's name fits her so perfectly, I'm just worried that Harper is to masculine a name for our princess.
Posted from Generic Android
Please use plain text.
laurallawson

You could call him Gus! I didn't really like my 2nd daughter's name at first but now I can't imagine her with any other name :smileywink:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Dayna Peterson

[ Edited ]

Please use plain text.
kristinamwrigh1

I'm confused. I've never in my life heard of a boy named Harper. I wouldn't worry about it sounding masculine at ALL! Plus, with an overly feminine name, girls tend to gravitate toward princess dresses and all things pink. Maybe Harper will go on to be a scientist or at minimum, feel like she can go to law school or do whatever her heart desires because she wasn't born into bows and lace with an overly fluffy name. I think gender neutral names give the child more power to be who they want.
Please use plain text.
kepickering

I love the name Augie! You could call him Jones or AJ. I would NOT regret it for a second.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 831 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: