cb712

Re: Do you ever regret the name you chose?

I absoulety regret my 2nd daughters name. Hubby and I had picked out a girls name years before (Ava) after our first was born as a name we liked should we have another girl.  When we found out we were having a 2nd daughter I just didn't feel the name 'fit' this little person and became attached to another name that I loved (Eden) but my husband did not like that name at all. So it came delivery time and she was still unamed and they wanted her birth certificate filled out so we finally agreed on a middle name but still couldn't agree on a first.  The next day when we were to go home, my husband came in to the hospital and announced that he had the 'perfect' name and of course it was Ava the name I did not feel fit this new little girl but I relented as I did not 'HATE' the name I just didn't think it fit her. Long story short it was a mistake I regret to this day and she is 3, I was able to get my husband to allow Eden to be her middle name (we legally changed it when she was a few months old), which is what she goes by now but it still bugs me everytime I have to write Ava as a first name and its on all official documents. For the first few months of her life I just called her 'baby girl' it was awful and I feel cheated from enjoying those first couple months as I was consumed with her name being wrong. My advice is to agree on a name prior to birth as those hormones can make you regret your choice. She is definitely an Eden and that is the only name she knows!

Please use plain text.
littlehootique

I regret our last son's name. He was born at 27weeks and didn't have a name for 3 days. A friend at the time said Oliver and my husband like Caellum as our families are from Ireland and our other children have Irish names. I hate his name! He's almost 2 and I'm really hoping to legally change it before he gets any older!
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
angeliqueparri

I wanted to name my daughter Ezabella because I love the way it looks but when I thought about it I didn't want kids saying she was easy (ez) so I went with Ariabella (Are-a-bella.. With a line over the i) and to this day it drives me crazy when people say Arabella (Air-a-bella)
Posted from Samsung SGH-I337
Please use plain text.
jillmkoehler1

ilyheavenleigh, I LOVE the name Harper for a girl and have never heard of a boy with that name! In fact, I know of 3 baby girls named Harper in the last 2 years--I would honestly think anyone who named their son that would be strange. :smileywink: As for Agustin Jones, I think it's sweet and masculine at the same time. I would call him Jones (or Jonesie) personally, because it's different but adorable! As for myself, I only wish I'd been more forceful with my youngest son's middle name. It's Andrew, which I don't actually mind by itself, but it doesn't flow well with his first name (Quinn). I like names that flow well! But my husband is a pain to name babies with. :smileywink:
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
ekumindy

Harper is a girl's name, not a boy's name, in my opinion.   I think it is a really pretty girl's name, too.  The thing about names is that you have to make your choice and deal with it and not be mad at other people for misspelling it or mispronouncing it if you do choose to go with something unique.  I like Augustin, but if I was just looking at it, I would probably think it was pronounced August - tin, not August-een.  As long as you can love the name and not be in a judgemental position with regard to others when they struggle with it, go with what you love!!  

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
catrinajones

The thing about names is that they are all left up to preference. There are names that I may love but someone else absolutely hates. Or, in this case, I love Harper for a boy and have heard it as a boy's name before but also think it's an adorable girl's name. I don't think there is anything wrong with not being completely satisfied with what you named your child but if it truly bothers you, then change the name legally. For example, in a previous post there is an Ava that has only ever gone by Eden. Then just change the name legally. No harm no foul. It will make for a good giggle when Eden is older and a great lesson when she has her own kids. If you dislike the name but don't want to legally change it, come up with a nickname. You can spell the nickname however you want. I love Agustin, especially since it has a family reference but AJ is great, or Augie or Gus. As for the original post, it's obvious your friend isn't alone. Hopefully she can feel better about it and not be so hard on herself. Maybe she can call her baby by an adorable nickname.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 422 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: