Community Manager
Emmys_Mom

Breastfeeding Tips

Breastfeeding doesn't always come easy to new moms. Share your best tips here!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
HostTammy

Re: Breastfeeding Tips

Best tip: R-E-L-A-X

When you tense up, so does baby. Relax and just know that it will get easier with time:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
LaylasMommy1014

I second Tammy's "relax". However, I found that extremely difficult to do right after birth, and then nurses telling you its done this way, or that, then that they arent getting enough, and shes "starving".

My best thing was BOPPY PILLOW!! some women hate them, some love them..for me, it was my saving grace! I was sore in my back, arms, neck, and etc when I was beginning breastfeeding, so it was difficult to learn how to "properly hold" and get a "proper latch" when i could barely keep my arms up without pain! I forgot my boppy pillow when my water broke and we headed to the hospital, but as soon as I got home, I used it, and BAM. I got a perfect latch, and it was so much easier on my neck, back, arms, and shoulders!!

Lanolin cream.. or even lanolin free creams are great too. :smileyhappy:

and while I couldnt believe everyones "oh it gets easier with time" at first, it DID get easier. within a few weeks, you'll be a pro. You may not be able to take the trash out and balance a breastfeeding baby, but you will be able to walk around, talk on the phone, etc. :smileyhappy:

♥ Brie ♥
My NFP Chart
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
**Kasey.. 01/07/2003-12/24/2012. You were my heart, my soul, and my whole world, cancer may have taken you from me, but you'll never be forgotten. I have your pawprints forever on my heart.**
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
parkinsk2

My best advice is to simply not give up! It was a good 6-8 woks before I was confident that I wasn't starving my baby. It's really helpful to have a good support system. I didn't but luckily I'm stubborn enough I made it through.
My son was a larger baby 9 lbs 13oz. and was serverly jaundice and I had to supplement with formula but i weened him as soon as possible. By one month old he was completely on only breast milk. Luckily he has always been a great eater so he did help make it easier for me.
Posted from Apple iPad
Please use plain text.
design4globe

My best advise for breast feeding is " breast feed with love"
The more compation you have to your baby, the more both of you will enjoy breast feeding time.
Have fun.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Please use plain text.
nichole16223390

I am a new parent and had to have a c-section with my daughter.  The staff did assist me with breastfeeding, but never suggested laying down to do it.  Infact, no one mentioned it to me.  I just tried it one day while I was laying down and it felt so natural.  I later learned of the position, but really wish I was aware of it earlier.  I struggled with other postions becasue of the surgery and this reduced pressure to my stomach.  Also,  my daughter was 20'1/4" at birth and I am only 5'2".  My arms are short and I found it to be very difficult to get comfortable.  Lay on your side with the baby facing you also on their side.  Position their head so it is alligned with your nipple.  Then, when you are both in a good position, gently slide their head to you.  Sometimes I lay on my side with nothing, other times with a pillow under my head, and others propping my head up with my elbowl while resting my head on my hand.  

Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

Kid of the Week Photo Contest

Ask a Question
Top Liked Authors
User Likes Count
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 1,951 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: